Re: Ad-Aware software

From: Chuck (
Date: 07/01/04

Date: 1 Jul 2004 13:46:21 -0500

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:31:42 -0700, "David" <>

>Can anyone advise if Ad-Aware (from Lavasoft) is a "real"
>and credible tool to remove spy software. For all I know
>this is a hacker's program that could hurt my computer.
>I typically use "Spybot-Search and Destory" but when I
>downloaded Ad-Aware it found a tun of items in my registry
>and other areas that Spybot missed. Please advise. Thanks

AdAware and Spybot S&D are like Coke and Pepsi - they complement each other, and
there are endless arguments about which one is better.

I use them both. Plus, if you have any specific symptoms, HijackThis and expert
advice is essential.

HijackThis <> Create a separate
folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the downloaded file there.

Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the HJT

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and post it, or a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <>
Net-Integration: <>
Spyware Info: <>
Spyware Warrior: <>