Re: Ad-Aware software

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 07/01/04

Date: 1 Jul 2004 13:46:21 -0500

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:31:42 -0700, "David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Can anyone advise if Ad-Aware (from Lavasoft) is a "real"
>and credible tool to remove spy software. For all I know
>this is a hacker's program that could hurt my computer.
>
>I typically use "Spybot-Search and Destory" but when I
>downloaded Ad-Aware it found a tun of items in my registry
>and other areas that Spybot missed. Please advise. Thanks
>
>David

David,

AdAware and Spybot S&D are like Coke and Pepsi - they complement each other, and
there are endless arguments about which one is better.

I use them both. Plus, if you have any specific symptoms, HijackThis and expert
advice is essential.

HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155> Create a separate
folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the downloaded file there.

Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the HJT
Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and post it, or a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>