Re: Dual boot and virus

From: Jim Macklin (p51mustang[threeX12)
Date: 05/02/04

Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 13:02:25 -0500

Sounds good, but if the drive is merely hidden, couldn't
some sharp virus writer use parts of the System Commander or
Partition Magic to see and then infect all install drives
and OS?

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Jim,
|
| It would depend upon the methodology used to dual boot.
|
| If the 2nd O/S is installed in a logical partition, and is
visible when the
| 1st operating system is booted up, then it is possible for
the 2nd operating
| system to be hurt by a virus that corrupts say, all .exe
files on the
| drives.
|
| In my case, I use System Commander Boot Manager and  I
have each of my
| operating systems on a primary partition. The booted
partition is active and
| visible. The other primary system partitions are inactive
and hidden. There
| is no way that a virus on one system can touch the other
operating systems.

| --
| Regards:
|
| Richard Urban
|
| aka  Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

in message
| >I have read several posts by others, describing their
| > systems and asking about viruses and worms.  Some have
said
| > they don't use certain OS to surf the web.
| >
| > My question, Is the active OS the only place for
infection,
| > or can a virus infect any or all of the installed OSs in
| > multi-boot system?
| >
| > If so, would running an older, unpatched version of W95
or