Re: E-mail virus stuff killing my office

From: Crusty \(-: Old B_at_stard :-\) (B_at_stard)
Date: 05/01/04

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:15:17 -0400

Good, thoughtful response!

--
Regards:
Richard Urban
aka  Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
<Ben M. Schorr>; "MVP-OneNote" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message
news:e2c049c44f594c239faeaa864a3a91cc@ghytred.com...
> On 30 Apr 2004 14:37, timbirr@mailcity.com (Tim J. Johson) wrote:
>>Try not to open e-mails that might be infected, but sometimes it is
>>tough to tell and to be honest, none of us are that computer savvy, and
>>we DO need to use our e-mail.
>
> It's easy to tell after a while.  First of all anything that has a .EXE,
> SCR, .PIF or other such executable attachment is automatically trash.
> Delete it without a second thought.
> Only those things with .ZIP files are worth considering, among the
> potentially
> dangerous ones.  Then you just have to look at the sender:
> "JoeBlow@nowhere.com?"
> I have no idea who that is or why they'd be sending me an attachment.
> [Delete].
> "Mom@familiardomain.com"  sends me a message that says "Here are the
> pictures
> of Britney I promised you!"  I don't care that it claims to be from my
> mom, she wouldn't be sending pictures like that.  [delete]
> "importantclient@theirdomain.com" sends me a .zip file with a message
> that says "Here are the revised contracts we talked about.  Look them
> over,
> if they're o.k. have Mike sign them and either fax or mail them back.
> Call me if you have any questions, thanks!"  Well...assuming we talked
> about some revised contracts that sounds legit to me.
> You just have to exercise some common sense.
>
> ?  What kind of attachment is it?
> ?  Who is it claiming to be from?
> ?  Would that person be sending me an attachment like that?
> ?  Does the text of the message make sense?
>
> If I get a message claiming to be from my dad but with bad grammar and
> lots of misspellings then I'd be very suspicious because that's not how
> he writes.  If a message with my sister's address as From comes in that
> starts off "Dear Friend" then I think that's probably bogus.
> When in doubt, contact the alleged sender BEFORE you open the attachment
> just to confirm that they sent it.
>
>>Of course we use MS Outlook. And I guess the answer is NOT TO, but I
>>think I would have trouble convincing the boss of that....
>

> What version of Outlook are you using?  The more recent versions 2002
> SP3 and 2003 in particular, are actually quite secure against viruses.
>

>>We have good Norton antivirus that is updated each week (sometimes
>>several times a week) good firewall protection, etc. But we still
>>manage to get these darn things.
>

> Should be updated each day.  Our antivirus software automatically checks
> for updates every hour and actually does get updated at least once a day.
>

>>Not being any type of any expert, I am coming to you folks for help.
>

> Good choice! :)
>

>>Sometimes I do the following before opening an e-mail. Does doing this
>>without yet opening the e-mail expose you to any virus? Or do you have
>>to actually "open" the message for exposure:
>>
>>1. Right Click on the e-mail as it lies in our inbox....BEFORE opening
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Header and Footer missing: Word 2003 doc edited in Word 2000
    ... Is it possible that you have Word 2000 opening in "Normal View" and Word ... Normal view does not show headers and footers. ... I'm starting to guess there is compatibility issues between Word 2k and Word ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Netiquette (was: Draw/Vector (was Missing font/Impression))
    ... Except that means opening up that thread, ... headers and using the References: header to open up the exact messages. ... You have the option in Pluto, as you know having mentioned it already, to ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: Strange ongoing messages re "security"
    ... In article, Ron Hirsch says... ... > copy the info below without opening the message, re its source, et al. ... The source IP address matches the rDNS name in the headers. ...
  • Re: Suspicious E-Mail Messages
    ... you, before opening any suspicious email, open Tools/options ... routing headers and send it, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: [opensuse] just an info about outlook express
    ... OE is smart enough to prevent windows users to read openoffice ... It refuses opening these documents ... If it is Outlook Express: ... one would not be able to open "unsafe" attachments at all from ...
    (SuSE)