Re: MS Firewall

From: Veronica Loell (lista_at_nakawe.se)
Date: 01/29/04

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:34:27 +0100

Big mark wrote / skrev:

> Hello folks
> Can anyone tell me if the Windows XP built in firewall is any good as I do
> not see any comments about it
> Cheers
> Mark

The built-in firewall only blocks incoming traffic. A "real" personal
firewall such as ZoneAlarm for example will let you control what
programs are allowed to connect out to the internet as well.

If you get one of the new mass-mailing worms in your computer the
XP-firewall would not stop it sending emails from your computer. A
"real" personal firewall however will pop up a question about whether
you want the virus-program to access the internet or not. Hence alering
you that there is something wrong with your computer.

- Veronica Loell

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MAJOR Hacking
    ... > efforts with router, personal firewalls, etc. Brand new computer ... > (AIM, internet expplorer, svchost.exe etc) accessing the internet ... > server whose IP seems to be masked to my firewall logs. ... Kerio Personal Firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Same old: The right firewall?
    ... > - an unbloated software firewall for my home PC ... a broadband router and let that handle your internet security. ... personal firewall that's that restrictive, ... I hate people who call a computer a "server" that merely shares ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Ein Leben ohne PF und nu?
    ... Damit bietet der Rechner dann keine Angriffsflaeche mehr zum Internet ... Inwieweit soll das durch die Verwendung einer Personal Firewall ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Norton Internet Security 2005 Firewall problem.
    ... Norton Internet Security 2005's firewall function has decided to block all ... to make your computer's NetBIOS name visible. ... In the Personal Firewall window, on the Advanced tab, click General. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall Advice
    ... > I would appreciate some advice about a firewall. ... you install a personal firewall. ... > version off the internet. ... Your computer would connect to a network jack on the router and ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)