Re: Virus that blanks the screen for a second ? Win98SE

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 01/02/04

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:32:06 -0500

Tedd:

I refrained from stating, this I even typed it but I erased it....

I support multiple Sony Vaio notebook models. They suck ! You are better off with IBM
ThinkPad or Dell notebooks. even Gateway is better than Sony. Sony has some of the worst
support I have ever seen. They are an audio related, not a computing related, company.

Dave

"Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.C0M> wrote in message
| Thanks Dave,
| I did not really think it was a virus, but thought I would give it a check,
| my guess is its hardware related..Ouch...Sony replacement parts are a joke,
| cheaper to buy a new laptop...
| Thanks for the help !
| Tedd
|
| Oh off the topic questions as you have been around for a while. About 2
| years ago, the Newsgroups were just flooded by I think a service that CNET
| had put in for "technical support" and what it really is just send the
| messages to the correct newsgroups and then send back the answers. You could
| always tell one of these as the questions were ummmmm lets say a bit basic ?
| Some groups are getting hit harder then others. But I have noticed that the
| email address on these are always anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com and
| the newsreaders in 90% of these are always:
|
| Have you noticed this the last few days ? I know that last time this
| happened, Microsoft had to get involved and after some lawyers talking it
| went away. I think it was CNET, could have been ZDNET.
| If you have any thoughts, I would be curious. I am getting tired of
| answering "how do I turn on the PC ?" Also noticed just tons of people
| asking for the KeyCode (all in Win98.gen.discussion)
| Tedd
|
| --
| Tedd Riggs

| > Sounds like a hardware or software problem. Not virus, Trojan or Internet
| worm related.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.C0M> wrote in message
| > | For the last few days on my Sony Vaio XG-9 notebook, when I am in IE or
| OE,
| > | the screen will go blank for about a 1/4 of a second, I have tapped
| around
| > | the area of the screen driver and this does not cause it and have
| noticed
| > | that even when the screen blanks, the LED's for power, Harddrive etc are
| not
| > | effected.
| > | Also now twice it has locked up (its been a long time for any lock ups
| on
| > | this unit) and nothing other then holding the power switch down will
| restart
| > | it. Also, now when I restart it, the Icons above the START button are
| always
| > | large, I have always checked them to be small.
| > |
| > | None of this has happened ever before, but the last three days, its been
| > | going on alot. I am hoping its not a display about to go. I have Zone
| Alarm
| > | Pro always on and Spybot with the latest update and practice "safe
| surfing"
| > |
| > | Any ideas out there ?
| > | Thanks
| > | Tedd
| > |
| > | --
| > | Tedd Riggs
| > |
| > |

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virus that blanks the screen for a second ? Win98SE
    ... And since most all of the Sony Stereo stuff I have was topnotch ... The "support" is totally non-existent, ... Tedd Riggs "David H. Lipman" wrote in message ... > I support multiple Sony Vaio notebook models. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • SONY SUPPORT
    ... sony vaio support ... sony vaio technical support ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Multiple Problems - Need Advanced Tech Support - How to Get It?
    ... No support from Sony? ... > I have a small home network -- a Dell wireless router, that Dell PC, Sony ... > uninstalliing and reinstalling both that software and the .NET framework. ... I've been on paid tech support with the Logitech Pen ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: u/g W2K to W3KE - W3KE recognizes half the RAM
    ... I look askance at all Sony products now, ... but would (after I cajoled a Compaq support guy into divulging a secret ... Little did I know that they had a subtle change in the BIOS on ... I assumed that they probably had RAM modules ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.hardware)
  • Re: u/g W2K to W3KE - W3KE recognizes half the RAM
    ... I look askance at all Sony products now, ... but would (after I cajoled a Compaq support guy into divulging a secret ... Little did I know that they had a subtle change in the BIOS on ... I assumed that they probably had RAM modules ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)