Re: Security

From: Alun Jones [MS MVP] (alun_at_texis.com)
Date: 11/12/03

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:35:28 GMT

In article <060e01c3a8a5$ad436050$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "Ben"
<benoit.turcot@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>I've received this e-mail i wanna know if it really comes=20
>from Microsoft.
>
>Warning: This message has had one or more attachments=20
>removed (UPDATE73.exe). Please read the "VirusWarning.txt"=20
>attachment(s) for more information.

As the few dozen other messages on this topic have already mentioned,
Microsoft don't send attachments with their email, particularly not
executable attachments. They also don't send them a dozen at a time, and
they don't send emails to you unless you've requested them to do so, such as
by signing up for the security bulletins at
http://register.microsoft.com/subscription/subscribeme.asp?ID=135

A couple of further items to think on:
1. By posting to a news group with your mail address, you've essentially
made for double the number of copies of the Swen virus you're going to get,
because that's one of the ways it gets new addresses. [Swen backwards is
News]
2. A couple of URLs worth looking into:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/swen.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
3. A little reading ahead can often give you the answer without having to
ask the question. This particular question has been asked, and answered,
many times, here and in many other groups, over the last few weeks.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | alun@texis.com.
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers.
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | Try our NEW client software, WFTPD Explorer.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Receipt of unknown "use this patch immediately"
    ... If you worry that you may be missing a Microsoft patch, ... Microsoft's web site. ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Share the wealth...from Bill Gates
    ... >Microsoft will track how many people I forward this email ... irritate them. ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: message from microsoft security
    ... If someone turned up on your doorstep and said "I'm from Microsoft ... address label, you'd throw the enclosed CD-ROM away. ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
  • Re: An email supposedly from security@microsoft.com
    ... use this Internet Explorer patch now! ... If Microsoft is sending out a patch, they do so from their web site, not by ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: "Pack71.exe"
    ... probably with the swen virus, ... sending out infected emails as fast as your internet link will go. ... > I got an email which appeared to an official Microsoft ... > all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.security)