Re: VIRUS ATTACHED to an Email FROM MICROSOFT ! ! !

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 11/10/03

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:09:54 -0500

Microsoft did NOT send you the Swen worm !

There are several email messages masquerading as Microsoft patches. The top three infectors
are; Swen, Dumaru and Gibe.

Microsoft *never* sends unsolicited patches via email.

You should also know the Swen worm in particular and spammers in general harvest email
addresses from UseNet News Groups. The Swen worm ('swen' spelled backwards is 'news' !) has
its own News Client built-in such that an infected platform can post itself to UseNet News
Groups.

I suggest you read the following post:
Answers to frequently asked questions - 10NOV03

Dave

"Art Chakalis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I tried to e-mail and/or phone Microsoft without success.
| These boys really don't want to hear from anyone except on
| their terms. Microsoft, don't phone/email me on this one
| as I will treat you in kind and ignore you (I REALLY need
| to begin to take Linux seriously)!
|
| My Internet provider's server stripped the virus but I
| would guess that there will be a lot of very angry people
| out in cyberspace. The note was addressed from Microsoft
| Corporation Network Security
| Department 'vfujdqjys@technet.ms.com' and shows a sent to
| of 'consumer@technet.ms.com'.
|

| The notice at the bottom of the note was as follows:
| --------------- Virus Warning Message ------------
| Xtra's anti-virus email filter found a virus in an
| attachment to
| this mail message. The action taken by the filter depends
| on
| whether the attachment could be cleaned and is shown at
| the bottom
| of this message.
|
| For more information regarding Xtra's anti-virus email
| filter please
| visit http://xtra.co.nz/anti-virus
|

| Found virus WORM_SWEN.A in file q737786.exe
| The uncleanable file is deleted.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: W32/Swen@MM virus in Microsoft attachments
    ... If you are posting to UseNet with your TRUE, not a munged, email address then that could be ... The reason it is called this is because the Swen worm ... There are several Internet worms that masquerade as patches from Microsoft. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Mascarade Email from "Microsoft" : W32.Swen.A@mm attached !
    ... The reason it is called this is because the Swen worm ... harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. ... itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. ... There are several Internet worms that masquerade as patches from Microsoft. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Fake Security Patch email
    ... The problem is the SWEN worm has gathered your email from the newsgroups. ... > This morning in my hotmail account i recieved and email ... > I would like to send this to Microsoft Security Department ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Swen in email headers?
    ... per day sent by computers infected by the Swen worm. ... the fake Microsoft emails myself and that's why I was surprised that Trend ... as soon as I downloaded my message headers ... >>I do not download directly my email into my laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: virus from ms (right)
    ... "I just read your post but don't have the time or energy to reply" ... Currently there are several email messages masquerading as Microsoft patches. ... its own News Client built-in such that an infected platform can post itself to UseNet News ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)