Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] (jones_jupiter_at_hotnomail.com)
Date: 10/04/03

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 01:31:26 -0600

I am viewing this thread through the Microsoft servers and I do see a
difference.
Perhaps you need to read more posts.
People often point out that this information does not get enough
publicity in these newsgroups.
Now Microsoft posts this very information to the newsgroups and people
complain.
Microsoft will lose no matter what they do.
Some of the patches need massive exposure.
In a 2 hour time frame, I saw the information about this patch from at
least 4 different methods.
This is what it is sometimes necessary to do.

You can pick all you want, the point is the information is getting out
in a non threatening way.
There are NO attachments.
If you would like to panic over a legitimate post, what did you do
when all the viruses were here?

I obviously realize a lot more than you think, a point that should be
obvious to you if you only look.

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
"Invisible Dance" <dark.apostle@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Since "Jerry Bryant [MSFT] massively cross-posted (the same
technique the
> 'swen' worm uses in posting to newsgroups), this is somewhat
difficult to
> explain, so I'll append an example of the same information that was
posted
> to microsoft.public.security.virus (not cross-posted as the 'swen'
worm
> cross-posts fake Microsoft Security bulletins [which, by the way,
ALSO have
> valid hot-links to appropriate Microsoft websites, it's just that
they also
> have a malformed header and an infected attachment]) in a much
better
> fashion.  If you are not viewing this thread in the
> microsoft.public.security.virus you may not realize how bad the post
from
> "Jerry Bryant [MSFT] looks in context.
>
> Realize that millons of fake, infected "Microsoft Security
Bulletins" are
> being sent out hourly by systems and networks infected by the 'swen'
worm.
> Some of us are geting a thousand or more each day.  That makes it
extremely
> important to make every effort to insure any legitimate information
> purporting to be from Microsoft to distinguish itself from that
provided by
> the 'swen' worm.
>
> Just in case you need a glimpse of the 'swen' worm product, look at
(but be
> very, very sure that you have all necessary Microsoft security
patches and
> Service Packs installed AND have an antivirus program with the
latest virus
> definitions scanning all operations of your computer before looking)
the

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/MS03-040.asp
> - ------------------------------------------------------------------
----

> Issue:
> ======
> This is a cumulative patch that includes the functionality of all
> previously released patches for Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0.
> In addition, it eliminates the following newly discovered
> vulnerabilities:
>
> A vulnerability that occurs because Internet Explorer does not
> properly determine an object type returned from a Web server in a
> popup window. It could be possible for an attacker who exploited
this
> vulnerability to run arbitrary code on a user's system. If a user
> visited an attacker's Web site, it would be possible for the
attacker
> to exploit this vulnerability without any other user action. An
> attacker could also craft an HTML-based e-mail that would attempt to
> exploit this vulnerability.
>
> A vulnerability that occurs because Internet Explorer does not
> properly determine an object type returned from a Web server during
> XML data binding. It could be possible for an attacker who exploited
> this vulnerability to run arbitrary code on a user's system. If a
> user visited an attacker's Web site, it would be possible for the
> attacker to exploit this vulnerability without any other user
action.
> An attacker could also craft an HTML-based e-mail that would attempt
> to exploit this vulnerability.
>
> A change has been made to the method by which Internet Explorer
> handles Dynamic HTML (DHTML) Behaviors in the Internet Explorer
> Restricted Zone.  It could be possible for an attacker exploiting a
> separate vulnerability (such as one of the two vulnerabilities
> discussed above) to cause Internet Explorer to run script code in
the
> security context of the Internet Zone. In addition, an attacker
could
> use Windows Media Player's (WMP) ability to open URL's to construct
> an attack. An attacker could also craft an HTML-based e-mail that
> could attempt to exploit this behavior.
>
> To exploit these flaws, the attacker would have to create a
specially
> formed HTML-based e-mail and send it to the user. Alternatively an
> attacker would have to host a malicious Web site that contained a
Web
> page designed to exploit these vulnerabilities. The attacker would
> then have to persuade a user to visit that site.
>
> As with the previous Internet Explorer cumulative patches released
> with bulletins MS03-004, MS03-015,  MS03-020, and MS03-032, this
> cumulative patch will cause window.showHelp( ) to cease to function
> if you have not applied the HTML Help update. If you have installed
> the updated HTML Help control from Knowledge Base article 811630,
you
> will still be able to use HTML Help functionality after applying
this
> patch.
>
> In addition to applying this security patch it is recommended that
> users also install the Windows Media Player update referenced in
> Knowledge Base Article 828026.  This update is available from
Windows
> Update as well as the Microsoft Download Center for all supported
> versions of Windows Media Player. While not a security patch, this
> update contains a change to the behavior of Windows Media Player's
> ability to launch URL's to help protect against DHTML behavior based
> attacks.  Specifically, it restricts Windows Media Player's ability
> to launch URL's in the local computer zone from other zones.
>
> Mitigating Factors:
> ====================
> - -By default, Internet Explorer on Windows Server 2003 runs in
> Enhanced
> Security Configuration. This default configuration of Internet
> Explorer
> blocks automatic exploitation of this attack. If Internet Explorer
> Enhanced Security Configuration has been disabled, the protections
> put in place that prevent this vulnerability from being
automatically
> exploited would be removed.
>
> - -In the Web-based attack scenario, the attacker would have to host
> Web site that contained a Web page used to exploit this
> vulnerability.  An attacker would have no way to force a user to
> visit a malicious Web Site. Instead, the attacker would need to lure
> them there, typically by getting them to click a link that would
take
> them to the attacker's site.
>
> - -Exploiting the vulnerability would allow the attacker only the
same
> privileges as the user. Users whose accounts are configured to have
> few privileges on the system would be at less risk than ones who
> operate with administrative privileges.
>
> Risk Rating:
> ============
>  -Critical
>
> Patch Availability:
> ===================
>  - A patch is available to fix this vulnerability. Please read the
>    Security Bulletins at
>     http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-040.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/MS03-040.asp
>    for information on obtaining this patch.
>

> - ------------------------------------------------------------------
---

> THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS
> PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS
> ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE
> WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE
> FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF
> MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE
> POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION
> OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES
SO
> THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

> --
> Larry Samuels MS-MVP  (Windows-Shell/User)
> Associate Expert
> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
>

> _______________
> Quote Ends
> --
> Invisible Dance, dark.apostle@mindspring.com
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > Phil;
> > Why are you posting "It is meant to sound harsh"?
> > This is a newsgroup.
> > One purpose is to exchange of information.
> > Jerry gave information about an important Critical Update.
> > How much more of an explanation is needed.
> > Instead of wasting bandwidth, Jerry posted the relevant link,
click
> > it, the link works.

Relevant Pages

  • [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040: Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (8287
    ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer ... Microsoft encourages customers to review the Security Bulletins at: ... A vulnerability that occurs because Internet Explorer does not ... It could be possible for an attacker who exploited this ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
    ... Now Microsoft posts this very information to the newsgroups and people ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer ... It could be possible for an attacker who exploited ... > vulnerability to run arbitrary code on a user's system. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
    ... Now Microsoft posts this very information to the newsgroups and people ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer ... It could be possible for an attacker who exploited ... > vulnerability to run arbitrary code on a user's system. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #260
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... Remote: Yes ... attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable computer with SYSTEM ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #341
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... Microsoft Windows Terminal Services Remote Security Restriction Bypass Vulnerability ... Microsoft Windows Media Server MDSAuth.DLL ActiveX Control Remote Code Execution Vulnerability ... An attacker can exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code in the context of the user running the application. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)