Re: Answers to frequently asked questions - 17SEP03

From: Andrew Z Carpenter [Newsgroup Groupie] (azc_at_FILTERcirencester.ac.uk)
Date: 09/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:22:05 +0100

> "Eric Hulet" <pastoreric@gracecommunitychurch.com> wrote
> in message news:0c0901c37d4d$c2870c10$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> OK, I have this mystery re trying to install Norton
> Internet Security 2003 on my XP Pro. When install first
> begins, I get an error message which says "Policies set
> by Administrator prevent this installation". Hey, I am
> the administrator! And I didn't set anything and can't
> find where the policy is set. I have disabled the XP
> firewall per the instructions. I have disabled the
> System Restore. I have created another User account,
> then logged on as Adminstrator. Still can't figure this
> out. Any ideas?

Sounds like you've pretty much tried everything I would
have tried. It could be that someone already 'owns' your
computer and has set the system policies to try to prevent
you from detecting and removing their access.

Do you have antivirus software currently installed? Is
it updated? If not, install some, or update the one you
have now, and run a full scan of your computer. You
might be wise to also run a scan with software specifically
designed to detect trojans. Try The Cleaner from MooSoft
at www.moosoft.com

As for undoing whatever policies may be in place on your
computer, perhaps consult with a group with people more
adept at general policy tweaking. Try the following
group:

If you copy and paste that into the address bar of your
browser, it should open up outlook express to the correct
group.

Good luck!

--
AZC
a million monkeys and their typewriters.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Group Policy question
    ... this OU (by default the computer account object will be located in the ... Install Terminal Services in Application Mode ... policies that affect the computer side configuration are applied (based on ...
  • Re: Can not install applications using any admin account
    ... Software Restriction Policies? ... Maybe you use an outdated version of the adm template on the ... restrictions is *not* applied to Administrators. ... I keep getting denied access to install them. ...
  • Re: GPOs only applying once a day
    ... That applies to changed policies, which will get applied without rebooting the computer. ... ;) Be careful with those settings, as it will probably have a impact on the startup behavior. ... install the software and reboot the system. ... and apply the settings to the registry entries. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Which Group Policy settings are enabled?
    ... forest or have trust relationships set up. ... GPMC on Windows Server 2003 directly. ... but you need one WindowsXP to install it on. ... >> sections with the Show Configured Policies Only option. ...