Re: Signtool doesn't add entire chain when signing files

The last point about you having your own root here is important. Typically, you only need to ensure that the intermediate certificates are included in the signature so that the client can build a chain to the root. The root needs to be installed as a trusted root certificate on the client in order for the client to trust the certificate.

So, for your self-signed root certificate, have you deployed that root certificate to all the clients that need to trust this signed object? That functionality is not included in a code signing operation. The client still has to trust the certificate. Given that you don't have any intermediate certificates, it doesn't matter or not whether they are included in the signature so it should not matter if there is any difference between the wizard mode and the command line tool mode.

It DOES seem like the wizard allows you to include the root in the signature while the command line doesn't do that for some reason, but it should not be important that the root is there anyway. The root needs to be installed on the client as a trusted root and having it included in the signature or not doesn't really buy you anything.

The thing I'm confused about at this point is how you are planning to get the root distributed to your target clients. That is basically what you are paying for when you buy a commercial certificate and is what you get by setting up an enterprise CA in a domain-based environment (roots are distributed by domain policy). When you have your own root cert, you are left to your own devices in terms of how to get the clients to trust it.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
"djBo" <rory.slegtenhorst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ba208b45-507a-4016-9ce4-97d4b8bac876@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Oct 2, 4:20 am, "Joe Kaplan"