Re: Performance extension DLL not working in W2K8 unless in sessio

Excellent! I am glad my guess was useful :)

So you just had to prepend "global\" to the name of your object?

Paul

"Greg Williams" <GregWilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Paul,

Thanks for that link. It provided the hint I needed to figure out what
was
going on. The problem was that the named shared memory object used to
communicate the performance counters to my performance extension DLL was
not
in the global namespace. So a user session could not access the
performance
counters, which lived in a non-global named object created by my service
running in session 0.

It probably never really worked before W2K8 except in the case where the
user was logged into session 0. So the increased security in W2K8 exposed
bug in my performance extension implementation.

I don't claim to understand the details here, but if it is only happening
in
Windows Server 2008, I would take a look at how Session 0 Isolation, a
new
security feature, affects your application:

Session 0 Isolation

-- Greg
=====================
Greg Williams
Software Engineer
IBM Internet Security Systems

  • Re: Desktop Creation
    ... Your statement only gives one small piece of the security picture. ... The reason for no desktop window access by services is that an unsecured ... session 1 and communicate with an IPC with the SYSTEM service. ... API evolution. ...
  • [UNIX] TWiki Arbitrary Code Execution in Session Files
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... TWiki Arbitrary Code Execution in Session Files ... or via an HTTP vulnerability of a third party web application. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Desktop Creation
    ... If I must store a secret I use CryptProtectDataAPI. ... But I don't understand what the resource creation is a potential security ... CreateDekstopuse the attached window station of the processus that call ... session 1 and communicate with an IPC with the SYSTEM service. ...
  • Re: Login in dynamically
    ... different from or nothing to do with the provisions of Access ULS. ... I mean, there's enough damn security permissions to set, how many do you want ... security as per transaction and not per application session. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Web session tracking security prob. Vulnerable: IIS and ColdFusion (maybe others)
    ... IIS and ColdFusion ... Because we perceive this as a security problem, our intent is to be wary of any web application that relies on IIS' session tracking. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)