RE: How do I get back m encrypted files?

IF it is encrypted with EFS, you will need to log in with your old
credentials. Fortunately you have the complete old drive, so instead of
connecting it to another computer, you will have to use it as the BOOT driver
(in another computer). Once you booted into your original Windows system and
logged in you should be able to access your files / data and copy everything
you need to some other drive (or onto the same drive UNENCRYPTED so later you
can access it.
Note that probably Windows will complain that you changed your hw
configuration (that's Windows Genuine Advantage rorking) - but you should be
able to use the system for copying the content. (I think WGA allows several
days in the 'nag' mode)

Laszlo Elteto
MVP Development Security
SafeNet, Inc.

"Poohbear" wrote:

I have a toshiba laptop that unfortunately has gone crazy and the
screen is messed up, I think it is the graphics card. To retrieve my
files I took out the HDD and connected it to my other pc, but the
files in the "Document and Settings\myusername\" are encrypted and
when I want to access it, it says "access denied". Is there a way to
retrieve my files? How do I do it on this new machine?

Thanks in advance.

  • Re: ActiveSync 4.1 Still does not work...
    ... ActiveSync shows it is connecting but never connects. ... Setting the Tray notification on the Windows Mobile based Device shows ... Tried 8 different USB ports including those directly attached to the ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: dropping partial connection--cant browse
    ... Assuming Windows XP... ... Winsock corruption *should* also prevent Outlook, ... from connecting, but you might try Winsock XP Fix from ...
  • Re: dropping partial connection--cant browse
    ... Assuming Windows XP... ... Winsock corruption *should* also prevent Outlook, ... from connecting, but you might try Winsock XP Fix from ...
  • Re: Trolling the Goss.
    ... The rest only turned up in a digression about connecting different   ... only one, and no more, computer is to be connected to internet), but   ... I'll look at Linux if it can replace windoze for what   ... You could consider using a new small-size off-the-shelf Windows ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 19, Issue 175
    ... Re: Remote Desktop: Connecting to a WinXP machine? ... rattling Windows, looks like this remote administration thing will be ...
    (Ubuntu)