Re: Confusion over IO (Inherit Only) ACE on Vista

Dear Jialiang Ge,

Could you try running my BAT file on a Vista workstation with a D drive. When I run it, the results I see are unexpected.

d:\test\test BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(I)(M)
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(M)
BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
BUILTIN\Users:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

d:\test\test BUILTIN\Administrators:F
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:C
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)C
BUILTIN\Users:R
BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)
GENERIC_READ
GENERIC_EXECUTE

Note, there is no (ID) flags in the cacls.exe output, but there are (I) flags in the icacls.exe output. Why?

Now "reset inheritance propogation" for d:\test\test (e.g. untick and then re-tick the box in the GUI), then run

cacls.exe d:\test\test

The output says:

d:\test\test BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(ID)C
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)C
BUILTIN\Users:(ID)R
BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)(special access:)
GENERIC_READ
GENERIC_EXECUTE

Note the (ID) flags are now shown.

The important part of this test is the first output from icacls and cacls, they do not agree...

--
Gerry Hickman
London (UK)