Generating a user certificate?

We have an Active Directory domain, all windows 2003 machines. We want to eventually require client certificates for our IIS sites, but I'm stumbling on figuring out how to generate certificates for the users.

I've installed the Certificate Authority on our Domain Controller, and I can request a new certificate for itself, and I can see the user certificate template in the Certificate Authority, but i can't figure out how to use it. Googling for things like 'issue "user certificate" windows', "generate client certificate", etc, haven't been helpful.
Lots of things in setting up client certificate mapping (which requires an already-generated certificate), and things for creating user certificates in IBM products, but not for Windows.

Could someone point me towards a resource for getting started on this?

Thanks
Jason

  • RE: updates after format
    ... if the Microsoft Server is down. ... software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing verify its ... When you try to download an ActiveX control, install an update to Windows ... and you do not have the appropriate certificate in your Trusted Publishers ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Need help configuring Wireless Connection profile
    ... and I can only use the intel OR windows utility, not both at the same time. ... Windows authentication for all users,4129,LRG\ryanv,4149,Wireless WPA2 ... SMALL BUSINESS SERVER: ... STEP #1 Install Certificate Services ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Update repeats
    ... You cannot install some updates or programs ... to a Windows component, install a service pack for Windows or for a Windows ... The Microsoft digital signature affirms that software has been tested with ... Publishers certificate store. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: sfc /scannow wont run
    ... or upgrade installs but I definitely know retail versions do. ... If you have Windows XP Pro installed then do not purchase a Windows XP Home ... This behavior can occur if the certificate for VeriSign time stamping ...
  • Cant publish Windows Server 2003 Certificates in Win2k Active Directory properly
    ... I have set up an Enterprise CA on Windows 2003 Server, ... After I issued a user certificate, ... the user certificate was not published into Active Directory properly. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)