Re: Access rights required to monitor a queue

Hi Jeffrey,

somehow the monitoring of the group did not work. Sorry for letting you wait. I just discovered the stuff you have written and I am now looking into it to understand things.

I am using different types of printers (shared and locally connected using IP or USB ports). I have not yet tested on something different than windows XP, as this is a client only application. Maybe on win2k/win2k3 things are different.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Thomas

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT] schrieb:
Hi Thomas,

Are you still monitoring this issue now? Is your problem resolved?

Calling OpenPrinter with a NULL pDefault parameter will request the correct permissions to listen on notifications on the printer and also for the whole server if only a server name is given for printer.

OpenPrinter(pPrinter, &hPrinter, NULL)
Using the NULL maps to PRINTER_ASSESS_USE for a printer and SERVER_READ for a server.

Normally, if certain user does not have enough access right, you should edit the DACL of the printer to grant the user PRINTER_ACCESS_USE access right, so that the user can call FindFirstPrinterChangeNotification successfully? However, normal users, by default can listen for printer notifications. You do not need to modify the DACL on the printer. I am curious to know why it fails in your scenario. Do you use network printer as my test scenario?

If you still need any help or have any concern, please feel free to tell me, thanks.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

  • RE: Server Performance Report: No Server Specifications shown
    ... Please go ahead to test the reinstallation of the Monitoring and Reporting. ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... >This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation ... On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: VS2008 Server Explorer takes 45 seconds to connect to SQL2005
    ... lab to apply for a test environment with Windows Server 2008. ... //Use TCP protocol to connect to your SQL Server instance ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • RE: ADSI as linked server
    ... This is Mark, a SQL Server Engineer. ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Problem with mmc console folder creation
    ... thank you for you answer, yes settings are just the same, and script not work for other folders on the particular server, too. ... The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • RE: Think Im having trouble shutting down appdomain
    ... exist at the server" results from the lease expiration of the server object ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.clr)