RE: WorkStation

From: Jeffrey Tan[MSFT] (v-jetan_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/28/05

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:30:16 GMT

Hi sunit,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry, can you show me where does this statement come from? I have searched
this in MSDN/google, but can not find the related links.

Yes, defaultly in windows, whenever a new logon session is lauched for a
process, it will attach to a new windows station. And in windows, only one
window station can be visible that is Winsta0. So for various services,
they all run under their own windows station, not the Winsta0, and they can
not have UI element(except communicate with some GUI process in WinSta0).
One exception is Local System account, which has the right to break into
the Winsta0, that is the "allow service to interact with desktop" checkbox
meaning in Services.msc.

Ok, for "more than one interactive user can log on at the same time", I
think it should talk about the terminal services. When a user logs on to a
Terminal Services-enabled computer, a session is started for the user. Each
session is associated with its own interactive window station, which is
still named Winsta0.
For more information about windows station in Terminal services, please
refer to:
"Terminal Services Sessions"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/te
rmserv/terminal_services_sessions.asp

Also, Keith Brown has writen a great tool "Session Viewer" to view the
logon session and windows station information of the processes, this tool
can be free downloaded in the link below:
http://www.develop.com/technology/resourcedetail.aspx?id=154fb42b-504f-4959-
9e18-332848ebfb74

Hope this helps

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

  • Re: Services and Window stations
    ... FUS means Terminal Services. ... Yes, I'm aware that each TS session has its own winsta0, but what I'm ...
  • Determining from a service if a user is logged on
    ... seemed to be a consensus that when a user is interactively logged on to a machine, that there would be a windows station called "WinSta0" that would contain a desktop called "Default". ... when the service is running and I log off it still reports that there is a WinSta0 station containing a desktop called "Default". ... Is this the correct track ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: Diff between session, windows station and desktop
    ... The difference in Sessions, Window Stations, and Desktops is discussed here: ... The article also answers some interesting questions relating to them. ... I see a lot of articles about the diff between the three terms: session, ... windows station and desktop, but I still cannot understand why we have ...
  • Diff between session, windows station and desktop
    ... I see a lot of articles about the diff between the three terms: session, windows station and desktop, but I still cannot understand why we have ... One session has one or many window station; one windows station has one or many desktops. ...