Re: Public exponenet e in Private Key Blob

From: Valery Pryamikov (valery_at_harper.no)
Date: 11/23/05

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:05:26 +0100

Windows uses standard public exponent 2^16+1. that gives good performance
due to low humming weight (only two 1 bits and 14 x 0 bits) and good
cipher's security due to guarantee against number of attack (such as f.e.
cuperthmith's attack) and only few messages that are encrypted to
themselves, with using randomized padding (which must be used with RSA
encryption) your chances to get such message is lower than chances of all
particles of our universe suddenly seizes to exist.
3 would be even a better public exponent if used with OAEP or (even better)
RSA-KEM.

-Valery.
http://www.harper.no/valery