WriteProcessMemory and ReadProcessMemory

From: Sam Hobbs (samuel_at_social.rr.com_change_social_to_socal)
Date: 09/21/05

    Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:57:15 -0700

    In at least a couple of programming forums, programmers are advised to use
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC. My impression is that it is
    (they are) not a good solution for IPC.

    I won't try to convince someone that they should not use
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC, and I won't use
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC, but it seems to me that I
    should say something indicating that use of
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC is not a good solution.

    Is there any security-related potential problem with use of
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC? In particular, would use of
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC require use of a higher set of
    permissions in a manner that is a potential security risk?

    People say that use of WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC is not
    good, but no one has provided an explanation for why it is not good that is
    sufficient to use for advising others. In other words, it is foolish to post
    a comment that simply says that it is not good to use
    WriteProcessMemory/ReadProcessMemory for IPC. If it is not good, then there
    must be an eplanation for why it is not good.