RE: How to tell if domain\user is a local user or domain user?

From: Ele7eN (Ele7eN_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/19/05

    Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:47:05 -0700

    If you also have the user's SID, then you can tell if it is part of the
    domain or not. The first half of the SID is domain-specific. All objects in
    the domain begin with the same string. If the first half of the SID is
    different from a known domain user's SID, then you know that it is not part
    of the domain.

    "wzhao2000@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > Hello, there,
    >
    > I got a user name from LookupAccountSid in format of Domain\User. But
    > the domain part could also be a computer name (i.e., a local user
    > instead of domain user). Is there a way to tell if this user is a
    > domain user?
    >
    > Thanks!

    • Re: How to get the correct SID format so I can search with it?
      ... Joe, that is awsome! ... I now have a domain sid in SDDL format and the objectSid ... Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming" ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • Re: How to get the correct SID format so I can search with it?
      ... I got the domain sid in the SDDL format ... I convert the objectSid into a byteand append it to the domain sid, ... Joe Kaplan-MS MVP Directory Services Programming ... Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming" ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • Re: How to get the correct SID format so I can search with it?
      ... I'm not sure where to download the utility SIDConverter. ... for converting arbitrary binary data in a byteto an LDAP filter format. ... AD 2003 accepts a special undocumented version of the SID for LDAP ... Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming" ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • Re: Need help with DirectorySearcher FILTER using SID.
      ... The problem is obviously my SID format in the search filter. ... public static string GetWinName(DirectoryEntry de, ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
    • Re: How to get the correct SID format so I can search with it?
      ... Joe Kaplan-MS MVP Directory Services Programming ... Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming" ... The format just looks like this: ... a SID might look like in the LDAP world. ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)