How to check a listed smartcard reader to be online

From: topixler (topixler_at_noemail.nospam)
Date: 03/21/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:49:04 -0800

    I'm wondering if there is a SCard API solution to check the list of resource
    manager reader entries to be active or not. I develop an external dll plugin
    which needs to find out which of the listed readers I get from calling
    SCardListReaders is really connected. After calling SCardGetStatusChange I
    get a SCARD_READERSTATE telling me that there is no card in the reader - even
    the read isn't connected at all! The same result if I call SCardConnect! I
    suspected to get something like SCARD_E_UNKNOWN_READER when I call
    SCardConnect. Why not? Do I have to cope with plug&play? Is it possible to
    register for any smartcard related events?

    Thanx for any help!