Scheduled tasks on remote machines

From: KG (aitog_at_noemail.nospam)
Date: 02/23/05

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:32:07 +0200

Hi
I am using the ITaskScheduler interface to schedule tasks on a remote
machine using ITaskScheduler::SetTargetComputer() method.
The documentation states that: "The current user on the remote computer
must have administrative access to use this method".
Which makes sense. But I am not sure exactly which method to use to get
the correct privileges.

In a non-AD environment, with the user on the local
machine logged in as LOCAL/Administrator, how do you schedule tasks on say
REMOTE/Administrator?

As a test I have also tried using runas and schtasks (eventually I need
to do it programmatically):
runas /user:REMOTE/Administrator "schtasks..."
and
schtasks /S REMOTE /u REMOTE/Administrator ...

But this also gives a "access denied" error (at least between machines
running Windows XP).
Another possibly related problem is that on win2000 I used to see the
"Scheduled Tasks" node when browsing the REMOTE host in explorer but this
is missing on the XP host.

Thanks
KG

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Running Scheduled Tasks Remotely Without Full Administrator Ri
    ... I think this is the problem, windows by default requires administrator ... rights to be able to remotely schedule tasks to be run on a server. ... The remote scheduler may ...
  • [REVS] Analysis of Remote Active Operating System Fingerprinting Tools
    ... Many of today's tools are used for remote active operating system ... Tools like Nmap and Xprobe2 take the responses and form a ... techniques based on stack querying came about. ... actively send packets to the network stack on the remote host and analyze ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: reverse SSH / SSH over NAT traversal
    ... The remote host is behind a NAT/firewall and it's not possible to ask the admin to tunnel a port. ... can the remote user type in some command in their terminal to connect (SSH?) to my network - and thereby allow me to get a terminal on the remote machine. ... I think this is possible with a reverse SSH tunnel - but I don't really want to allow the remote user any access to my system. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: reverse SSH / SSH over NAT traversal
    ... The remote host is behind a NAT/firewall and it's not possible to ask the admin to tunnel a port. ... can the remote user type in some command in their terminal to connect (SSH?) to my network - and thereby allow me to get a terminal on the remote machine. ...
    (Fedora)
  • SCP via SSH tunnel works, then not, then works again
    ... I am using SSH to perform local port forwarding from my local machine ... to a remote machine behind a firewall at a remote site ... back to remote host RA, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)