Re: WriteProcessMemory

From: Pavel Lebedinsky (m_pll)
Date: 01/09/05

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:19:48 -0800

Read/WriteProcessMemory are already documented as debugging
APIs:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/debugging_functions.asp

There's no mention of them in the list of supported IPC methods:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ipc/base/interprocess_communications.asp

I think the docs are pretty clear as they are.

"Sam Hobbs" wrote:

> Thank you, Pavel. What you say is what I thought is the situation, but in
> order to convince others, I need to get people such as you to say things
> such as you say. Okay, so that was rather general. The following are
> sample posts from the two people I mentioned.
>
> The first one is a discussion that is still on-going; see:
>
> VBForums.com - send info between apps
> http://vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=315463
>
> That discussion is quite lengthy, and that is the main reason I omitted it
> from my original question. If you search that thread for
> "WriteProcessMemory" then I hope you will find the relevant parts without
> too much inconvenience. Note that I posted a message ("Is WM_COPYDATA
> special?") in the microsoft.public.vb.winapi newsgroup concerning the
> issue of the WM_COPYDATA message.
>
> Another relevant discussion is older and is in another forum; see:
>
> CodeGuru Forums - Memory problem in C
> http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279338
>
> where Mick says "otherwise use OpenProcess(...) and
> ReadProcessMemory(...)" to which I say "I think that ReadProcessMemory is
> not normally considered an IPC solution". So the subject there is
> ReadProcessMemory, not WriteProcessMemory, although I used
> WriteProcessMemory for the subject here. Note that Mick is a Forums
> Moderator and is respected for his knowledge. He is very knowledgeable
> about many very technical Windows subjects, but that is greater
> justification to ensure he does not mislead people.
>
> So I created another thread; see:
>
> CodeGuru Forums - Debate: Is ReadProcessMemory normally considered an IPC
> solution?
> http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279541
>
> That thread did help, but it still did not get the point well enough that
> ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory are not as useful as Mick
> indicates.
>
> If we are correct that ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory should not
> be used for normal IPC, and should not be suggestged for use without
> sufficient cautions at least, then I think the MSDN needs to be much more
> clear about that.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WriteProcessMemory
    ... CodeGuru Forums - Memory problem in C ... So the subject there is ReadProcessMemory, ... WriteProcessMemory, although I used WriteProcessMemory for the subject here. ... Is ReadProcessMemory normally considered an IPC ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: WriteProcessMemory
    ... Even if they are not documented as being valid for IPC, ... could exist using ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory for IPC. ... >> order to convince others, I need to get people such as you to say things ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: WriteProcessMemory
    ... opinion is representative of their opinion. ... >> WriteProcessMemory for the subject here. ... Note that Mick is a Forums ... >> ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory are not as useful as Mick ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: WriteProcessMemory
    ... WriteProcessMemory was designed to be used for debugging not ... IPC, and using it as an IPC mechanism is a bit unusual to say the ... The next closest thing are memory ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Ram bearbeiten
    ... ReadProcessMemory ... WriteProcessMemory ... das umsetzen dieser in VB.NET - PInvoke ist relativ simpel, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.entwickler.dotnet.vb)