RE: Service account and logon as service permission.

From: Kevin Burton (KevinBurton_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/03/04

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:58:03 -0800

This is a domain account call it PPC\test. The ChangeServiceConfig seems to
work so the user name and password are correctly entered into the service
database. But I still get a logon failure. I have added PPC\test to the
"logon as service" for the domain policy. This is why when I run the Services
MMC and go to the Log on tab and change the user and password I get a message
box that says that PPC\test has been granted "logon as service" permission.
Is what I want to happen is for this to happen automatically without the need
to go to the MMC. Do I need to modify the domain policy, local policy (the
local machine where the service is running)? If so how? I have successfully
been able to get a policy handle for the local machine but the domain account
PPC\test can't be found when I try to enumerate the rights.(although I can
get a SID for this account)

Any insight?

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

"Kevin Burton" wrote:

> I will start here. Please redirect me if there is another group that is more
> appropriate for my question.
>
> I am trying the change the account under which some services run using the
> ChangeServiceConfig method. This seems to effectively change the user and
> password for the service but when I try to start the service I get a logon
> failure most likely because I do not have the 'logon as service' permission.
> If I go to the MMC for services and on the Log On tab type in the user and
> password I get a message box indicating that the user has been granted the
> 'logon as service' permission. How can I make sure this 'logon as service'
> permission is granted like it is for the MMC (hopefully without the need for
> the message box)?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kevin Burton

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to force a user to logon to the domain ?
    ... > We would like to force users to logon to the domain so all the scripts and ... > have only a domain account. ... > logon locally on their computers. ... Putting their DOMAIN accounts in the Local Administrators group rather than ...
  • TS Logon Restriction by hours
    ... Does anyone know a way of restricting a given 2003 domain account ... so that it can only logon to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server during a certain ... 'Logon Hours' restrictions for a domain account (as these would ... prevent the account from logging into the network at all during this ...
  • Re: Domain logon after sysprep
    ... Auto domain logon after sysprep seems to be not possible. ... During the local logon you can execute a script with the ... I need to autologon using a domain account, ...
  • Re: Logon Error - Event ID 533
    ... *WARNING* Do NOT follow any advice given by the people listed below. ... The user cannot logon and no Profile folder is made, ... it causes the system to halt if a security audit ... >>> or domain account look for the domain or computer name preceding the ...
  • Re: Help - Loosing my sanity
    ... I have seen this happen if there's a conflict between the Local Security ... Policy & a Domain Policy. ... > recommend creating a new domain account for the SQL services. ... > loose/forget their passwords. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)