Re: XP Pro, IE 6.1: XEnroll "keyset does not exist"

From: Igor Markovic (igor_at_izecom.com)
Date: 08/26/04

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:36:58 +0200

I managed to reproduce this problem.

When looking at te permissions of the 'C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA' folder (at the
problem machine) they are:

- inherited from 'C:\'
- Everyone: Full Access

If I start a XP Pro machine and then look at the permission of the RSA
folder I see:

- inherited from 'C:\'
- Everyone: Read & Execute, List Folder Content, Read
- Administrators: Full Controll
- System: Full Controll
- Creator Owner: Full Controll

So I tried to change the permissions of my C:\ drive to:

- Everyone: Full Access

After doing this I get the 'Keyset does not exist error'. When I add
Administrators and System again it still doesn't work. If I add Creator
Owner it does work. If I now play with the owner and permission groups I can
also sometimes get it to work without the creator owner group.

Why do I have to add these groups if I already have Everyone to Full
Controll? I always thought that Everyone contains EVERYONE and not Everyony
minus Administrator, etc.

Now I only have to see if this is also the solution for the other machine
having the 'Keyset does not exist' error.

Igor Markovic

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Permission to Copy Files to Server Folder But Not Edit Them
    ... not need creator owner permissions dues to the user either already having ... needed permissions for his user account or via group membership. ... Group Policy to remove the security tab from folder/file properties for ... Select folder only in the apply onto box and hit OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: OK, heres what i tried...
    ... > groups with the expected permissions. ... > Noticed the CREATOR OWNER was on that folder after i ... >>AFAIK a grant to Creator Owner is irrelevant. ... >>are using FrontPage and storing the mdb within the web ...
  • Re: Permissions question
    ... who creates the file to delete it by setting CREATOR OWNER to have only ... the delete permission on the parent folder, ... Manny Borges Wrote: ... Do you have CREATOR OWNER permissions on that folder? ...
  • Re: Denying file access
    ... advanced security page for the folder - just the explicit permissions you ... >> permissions in the advanced tab of security for a folder by selecting the ... >> creates a folder or file will be given permissions for creator owner. ...
  • Re: Please help with folder permissions
    ... "Everyone" you give special permissions, Traverse folder, List folder, ... Permissions for "This folder only". ... Yes, "Creator Owner" is not an object used in actual access control for files, it can only be translated into an owner object and that way used to control access. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)