Re: storing keys

From: Eduard Koller [MSFT] (eduardk_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 04/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:50:30 -0800

When you use the existing UI (the PFX import wizard) to import a certificate
to the personal store, the default CSP will be used.
However, you can use the command line tool certutil.exe to do this
(certutil.exe shipes as part of the admin pack, in the WS2003. You will need
WS2003 SP1 for this functionality)

Thanks!

--
Eddy Koller[MS]
"Dani" <dds@it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
> Thanks you very much.
>
> Abaout the fourth question (it's possible to import certificates to
> personal
> store using the defaultwindows utility and using my custom CSP as key
> store
> (without make my CSP
> the dafault CSP?.) How can i do it?.
>

> Thanks!.
> "Sergio Dutra [MS]" <sergiod@online.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> 1. When the RSA key is generated both public and private keys are
> generated.
>> 2. There's no point in generating a private key only since one couldn't
>> decrypt any data that was encrypted with it. The CSP should not generate
>> private keys only.
>> 3. Both private and public keys are imported into the CSP when importing
>> key. However, it's also possible to import a public key only, as this is
>> typically used to encrypt data to the one who holds the corresponding
>> private key.
>> 4. Yes.
>> 5. No.
>>
>> --
> rights.
>> Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
>> "Dani" <dds@it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
>> > Im writing my own CSP, and i have some cuestion related with the key
>> > database:
>> >
>> > when a RSA key is generated by the CSP both public and private key are
>> > generated?
>> >
>> > shoud the CSP be capable of generating a private key only?
>> >
>> > when i import a certificate with private key, both private and public
> keys
>> > are imported to the CSP?.
>> >
>> > it's possible to import certificates to personal store using the
>> > default
>> > windows utility and using my custom CSP as key store (without make my
> CSP
>> > the dafault CSP?.
>> >
>> > to import the certificate keys to my CSP is necessary to make my CSP
>> > the
>> > default CSP?.
>> >

>> > THANKS, really!.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Alternative store vs. MY store
    ... store both the client cert and its associate private key on my USB memory ... your codes (CSP, ... indirect call to your CSP when one of your cert is involved in an operation. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Alternative store vs. MY store
    ... >> keep the private key on the memory card all the time. ... > must so start to copy your certs to the store, ... > indirect call to your CSP when one of your cert is involved in an operation. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: importing private key globally to personal store
    ... The Certificate Store doesn't store private keys, so you won't see them in ... your certificate has an associated private key, ... Store will have pointers to the CSP where the private key is maintained. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: SmartCard CSP and CA certificate enrollment
    ... Store for each of the two keys in the ... 'default' container on the smart card. ... CSP Design & Development Consulting ... enrolls for a certificate, the Certificate Enrollment Wizard offers the ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: smart card private key
    ... first storing the certificate information and the private key ... information in the system store. ... first of it the name of the CSP module that manages that key. ... information about the private key present on the smart card before ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)