Re: help me in understanding CAPI

From: Drew Cooper [MSFT] (dcoop_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/05/04

    Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:01:11 -0800

    There are certificate overview docs here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/entserver/sag_CMtopNode.asp

    They should answer all of those questions and more. You're probably
    especially interested in the "Concepts" section.

    --
    Drew Cooper [MSFT]
    "anonymous CAPI" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to analyze the CAPI in theory. As per my understanding
    thereare certificate system stores on your machine like root, ca,trust etc.
    correct?
    > Question1.)Is the public /private key of the certificate stored in the
    certificate stores?
    > Question 2)When a certificate is created does it associate itself with a
    particular CSP. SUpposing there is a cerificate from verizon, does it have a
    CSP associated with it? If i create a self signed cert, how does the cert
    associate with a CSP?
    > Question3) CSP's are supposed to have key containers correct? Does these
    containers contain the pub/priv key of the cert?If so, then what is the use
    of certificate stores.
    > I know that all these questions are basic but i am confused

    • Re: SmartCard CSP and CA certificate enrollment
      ... Store for each of the two keys in the ... 'default' container on the smart card. ... CSP Design & Development Consulting ... enrolls for a certificate, the Certificate Enrollment Wizard offers the ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • RE: Storing certificate on a hardware token (SC)
      ... The usual way is to get context to the token's CSP (each token vendor has its ... Next you create a container and within that ... KP_CERTIFICATE to add the cert to the key. ... Note that in order to use the certificate from generic Windows applications ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • RE: CSPs and Certificate Extensions
      ... This matches the calls that are made to my CSP that I ... That means the problem is occurring when the certificate is being accessed - ... CPSignHash is called with the key spec set to AT_KEYEXCHANGE. ... of the IE certificate store. ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • Custom CSP in Office 2003?
      ... I've developed a custom CSP. ... However, in Office 2003, I found my CSP ... Provider type is PROV_RSA_SIG. ... Here's how I register the certificate into system cert store: ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • RE: Smartcard CSP Problem
      ... CSP documentation. ... of the private keys you store. ... Apps may call your CSP to store the corresponding certificate: ... > I am to develop a SmartCard CSP, but with no actual SmartCard behind it, but ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)