Re: Windows 2003 system account starting process as new user

From: Pavel Lebedinsky (m_pll)
Date: 01/27/04

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:39:35 -0800

I think this is actually a bug in W2K3. You can also reproduce it
by launching an instance of cmd.exe as System (using at /interactive)
and then trying to use runas from this cmd window.

Do you pass NULL as STARTUPINFO::lpDesktop? You could
probably pass a non-NULL value and manually set permissions
on the window station and desktop instead of letting CPWLW
do it for you (which is I think where it fails). I haven't tried it though
so I don't know if it will help or not.

"Jeffrey Hamblin" wrote:

> What happens when you try it on XP with a user who is not a member of the
> Administrators group?
>
> My first guess is that you are failing the access check against the
> WindowStation on Server. On XP, everyone is admin, so you are getting
> through. Let me know, and I'll do some checking over here as well.
>
> > I have a windows service running under the system account, this service
> calls an exe using CreateProcessWithLogonW to start it as a different user
> (in this can a user with admin rights). This works just fine on Windows
XP
> Pro, but I get access is denied as the error message on Windows 2003
> Standard Edition. Please let me know if anybody knows any way to get this
> working.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Automatically locking desktop after a certain period of time
    ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... > they shouldn't be able to rename the SCR file. ... These settings are ... > admin rights than, say, tutors, students, or other non-staff users. ...
  • Re: Admin Rights
    ... user name I created and re-set my name as admin rights. ... Make sure you also give the recipient the Windows XP ... Otherwise log into the built-in Administrator account and delete all the ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ...
  • Re: CD-rom not accessible for user with admin rights
    ... setting for "use simple file sharing" right at the bottom of the list. ... Folder or Drive, ... but have not found anything (even windows knowledge base). ... I set up an account for her also with admin rights. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Error 1706 when User tries to open Office applications
    ... Lanwench (in General newsgroup) gave me the solution to ... Give the user admin rights then run each ... Windows application once. ... The Windows installer ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.applications)
  • Re: HU CMS users
    ... Admin rights easier to use. ... If a botnet virus infests the machine even at user account level, ... There is plenty of malware that's stopped dead this way. ... Windows does not provide a "distro" that would be easily patched ...
    (alt.internet.search-engines)