Re: Win2K3 Server and DCOM

From: Valery Pryamikov (Valery.Pryamikov_at_nospam.sm.siemens.no.nospam)
Date: 01/23/04

    Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:05:03 +0100

    Hi,
    Check events log on both computers. There should be some information
    describing reasons you getting access denied error.
    -Valery.

    "John Brown" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm working on getting a COM/DCOM app working on Windows 2003 Server and
    have run into one snag. The app is a client-server app. Most of the server
    component applications are started up via a trio of services, but at least
    one minor server component app stays unstarted until a client connects to
    keep the server footprint smaller. This component starts fine if a client
    is started on the server; however, if a remote client tries to connect to
    the server machine without a client running local to the server, the
    CoCreateInstanceEx on the component fails with an HRESULT of 80070005
    (E_ACCESS_DENIED). The rest of the server and the remote client both run
    fine, albeit with some functionality disabled due to the abscence of the
    server component.

    > I've verified that the DCOM settings allow everyone to launch the
    component and checked the permissions on the directory containing the
    server. This setup also worked on Windows XP, Windows 2k, and WinNT, so it
    that leads me to believe that one of the changes between those OS's and
    Win2K3 is the culprit, possibly something related to the increased security
    in Win2K3.

    > Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting this error? As an
    immediate solution, I'm going to try having the minor server component
    started by the services like the rest of the server components, but it'd be
    nice to figure out another way to avoid this pitfall and avoid having to
    keep all the components running all the time.

    > -- John Brown

    • RE: Using kerberosSecurity Throws Security Exception
      ... I am experiencing this error while trying to use a Windows XP client ... application to access a web service located on a W2k3 server. ... client app on the server, ... > Account with a Custom Principal Name using SetSPN.exe utility. ...
    • Re: Questions about Remoting, objects, threading. lease lifetime and object cleanup, and a couple of
      ... so long as the Client app is ... always refering to the same server object. ... it sets its ClassOne object to nothing and goes away. ... >>The client app at some point is going to become an ASP.Net app also. ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.remoting)
    • Re: Remoting or windows service
      ... Thanks for writing up such a decent overview of the remoting dev process ... the client and the server. ... > 2) Implement this class in the server app and say that it can be accessed ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.remoting)
    • Re: Schannel and Session Renegotiation
      ... Schannel does not support the server sending app ... We are discussing the option of providing support for the client blowing off ...
      (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
    • Re: Getting Events, for Windows Service
      ... else tries to run my client app he gets an timeout error. ... The server application has a public object called logger, ... So it seems that the logger is properly instantiated and works. ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.remoting)