Re: Reversed issuer name returned by X509Certificate.GetIssuerName()

From: ByronKim (byronkim_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 01/22/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:27:06 -0800

The order of CN Name in MMC display and WSE Certificate is exactly reverse.
This is just display issue.

thanks
Byron KIM

"Guangxi Wu" <gwu@ch2m.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am working with SignedXml and X509Certificate classes to digitally sign
> XML messages. The recipient application requires that the issuer's name
and
> serial number from the X509 certificate be included in the signature as
part
> of the <X509Data> element. The recipient application uses the issuer name
> and the serial number to load the appropriate X509 certificate and the
> public key for signature verification. The recipient application is
written
> in Java.
>
> I have read a number of articles on the newsgroups about the serial number
> returned from the GetSerialNumber method of the X509Certificate class (.
NET
> FCL and WSE) is in reverse order from what is displayed in the
Certificates
> MMC. I used Array.Reverse() to reverse the serial number. So far so good.
>
> However, I encountered a similar problem with the GetIssuerName method of
> the X509Certificate class. For example, I have a certificate with the
> following Issuer's Name from the Certificates MMC:
>
> OU = Secure Server Certification Authority
> O = RSA Data Security, Inc.
> C = US
>
> While the following Issuer's Name is obtained from the GetIssuerName
method:

> C=US, O="RSA Data Security, Inc.", OU=Secure Server Certification
Authority

> Which reverses the order of the blocks of information contained in the
> Issuer's Name (C, O, and OU).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. What is the reason behind the .NET implementation of the
X509Certificate
> class?
> 2. How to obtain the issuer's name that matches the one displayed in the
> Certificates MMC? Any code sample will be greatly helpful and appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --- Guangxi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Reversed issuer name returned by X509Certificate.GetIssuerName()
    ... > The order of CN Name in MMC display and WSE Certificate is exactly reverse. ... >> FCL and WSE) is in reverse order from what is displayed in the> Certificates ... I have a certificate with the>> following Issuer's Name from the Certificates MMC: ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Reversed issuer name returned by X509Certificate.GetIssuerName()
    ... > The order of CN Name in MMC display and WSE Certificate is exactly reverse. ... >> FCL and WSE) is in reverse order from what is displayed in the> Certificates ... I have a certificate with the>> following Issuer's Name from the Certificates MMC: ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Reversed issuer name returned by X509Certificate.GetIssuerName()
    ... The order of CN Name in MMC display and WSE Certificate is exactly reverse. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Newbie: Getting my head around Certificates
    ... I'm very new with the security apis of windows, so please be aware of that ... My goal is to essentially display the same certificate dialog that is shown ... operating systems (possibly even Windows 95). ... .Display() method of the ICertificate2 interface. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: How to avoid "Data connections have been disabled"
    ... I assume when you opened mmc console and File>Add.Remove a Snap-in you selected ... I was able to drag my certificate to ... Expand and open Personal Certificates folder. ... Select your SelfCert DC and drag it to the Trusted Root ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)