RE: CryptAcquireContext() question.

From: Rhett Gong (v-raygon_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/19/03

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:59:26 GMT

Hi Indraneel,
    The CryptAcquireContext API always fails when logged on as the Guest
account and the GetLastError shows 0x80090024 which means
NTE_TEMPORARY_PROFILE (The profile for the user is a temporary profile).
    You can reference Q265357 about this and I have included an excerpt
from the article:
    This error also occurs if the user is a member of the Guests or Domain
Guests group, but this is by design. Certificates and the associated
private keys are
stored in a secured location in the user's profile. If the user is a member
of the Guests or Domain Guests groups, then the system marks the profile as
temporary which means it will be deleted when the user logs off. Windows
2000 will not allow you to save a private key to a temporary profile
because it will not persist from logon session to logon session.

    Here is the link for Q265357:

Rhett Gong [MS]
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • How can Guest use encryption?
    ... I have a Windows 2000 kiosk PC that is logged-in as Guest. ... 0x80090024 - The profile for the user is a temporary profile. ... This error also occurs if the user is a member of the Guests or Domain ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • How can Guest use encryption?
    ... I have a Windows 2000 kiosk PC that is logged-in as Guest. ... 0x80090024 - The profile for the user is a temporary profile. ... This error also occurs if the user is a member of the Guests or Domain ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • RE: How can Guest use encryption?
    ... "sean" wrote: ... > This error also occurs if the user is a member of the Guests or Domain ... > private keys are stored in a secured location in the user's profile. ... > I need to create a keystore just so I can import my pre-shared key. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: How can Guest use encryption?
    ... >>This error also occurs if the user is a member of the Guests or Domain ... >>private keys are stored in a secured location in the user's profile. ... >>logon session to logon session. ...