Q: Accessing files across the network (\\myHost) w/a Service

From: Stan (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/16/03

    Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:36:49 -0800

    Hi,

    I have a situation where I have a service running as the
    Local System account. I have a network drive mounted on the
    same system that the service is running on. The network
    drive was mounted by a user who is in the local
    Administrators group. It is mounted as \\myHost. The
    service can not access a file to read from on that mounted
    drive. When I change the service to run as .\Administrator
    and the local Administrator's password is the same as the
    Administrators password on the system which I have mounted
    the share from, the service is able to read the file.

    How can I set things up so that I can run the service as
    Local System and have things work? Is there a better way to
    do this such that I don't have to run the service as
    Administrator?

    TIA,

    -Stan