Re: Retrieving the friendly name of certificate store

From: Michel Gallant (neutron_at_NOSPAMistar.ca)
Date: 11/25/03

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:41:26 -0500

Innokentiy,

The "Friendly Name" of a certificate is a CryptoAPI "Extended Property"
Extended Properties are not actually part of the X509 v3 certificate but
are associated with the certificate when maintained in CryptoAPI cert stores.
It is editable. You can get it using:
  CertGetCertificateContextProperty()
with dwPropID = CERT_FRIENDLY_NAME_PROP_ID

Note that when you export the certificate and move it, the Friendly Name
is lost (like other Extended Properties).

- Michel Gallant
   MVP Security

"Innokentiy Ivanov" <ivanov@eldos.org> wrote in message
> Hello, All!
>
> Is there any way to get the friendly name of a system/physical certificate
> store (i.e. the name that is displayed by Windows certificate import wizard)
> ? CertGetStoreProperty always returns CRYPT_E_NOT_FOUND (we have performed
> the test on several Win2000 machines).
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Sincerely yours,
> Innokentiy Ivanov
> EldoS Corp.
> ---
> SecureBlackbox - your way to secure Internet connections

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Getting certificate context properties
    ... to use CryptDecodeObjectto extract the info you want. ... for extracting all X.509 certificate fields, extensions and extended properties. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: How to describe a certificate ?
    ... Are you talking about showing the user more information within ... the Windows certs-view panels? ... Properties like "Friendly Name" are extended properties .. ... That is the only customizable (after certificate generation) bit of information ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Retrieving the friendly name of certificate store
    ... It seems that we have a small misunderstanding here:) ... We are interested in retrieving the friendly name of _certificate_store_, ... MG> Extended Properties are not actually part of the X509 v3 certificate ... MG> Name is lost (like other Extended Properties). ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Why can I silently export private keys marked as non-exportable?
    ... > access private key associated with the certificate. ... Note that these are certificate "Extended Properties" and are not actually part of ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)