Microsoft Certificate Services

From: trinitypete (support_at_trinity.com)
Date: 11/05/03

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:30:19 -0800

Hi all,

I have a question regarding certificates which I hope
some one can explain. (Win2003 & XP Pro)

I needed a web server certificate (SSL) so I did the
following:

IIS - Request certificate to send later, creates text
file.

Using web UI for Microsoft Certificate Services, advanced
request. Submit a certificate request by using a base-64-
encoded CMC or PKCS #10 file, or submit a renewal request
by using a base-64-encoded PKCS #7 file. Copy in the
contents of the text file and a certificate is issued.

This is the bit I need clarifying.
----------------------------------

THIS WORKS
If you go back into IIS - server certificate and check
pending request, browse to the certificate file produced
by Microsoft Certificate Service - the certificate is
imported along with the private key from the .cer file.

THIS DOESNT
If you didn't do the above and just install the
certificate from opening the .cer file and selecting
install, or import the certificate via MMC snap in, you
dont get the private keys????

Any help would be appreciated.
Pete.