Re: CryptAcquireContext

From: Michel Gallant (neutron_at_nspxistar.ca)
Date: 10/23/03

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:35:30 -0400

Don't touch that folder! It contains all CryptoAPI protected private
key files (W2k +).
This described the folders, and also the cert folders:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prdd_sec_grhc.asp

That folder, for W2k, will contain your EFS keys also, so if you delete it,
you won't be able to open your encrypted local folders (except via your administrator
account recovery keys).

If you want to delete *specific* key containers, you can use this utility I
created for this purpose:
   http://pages.istar.ca/~neutron/KeyContainerTool/ (requires CAPICOM)

 - Michel Gallant
    Visual Security MVP

"Oliver Young" <none> wrote in message news:eJTFE1UmDHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Is it safe to delete content of C:\Documents and
> Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA folder? I wouldn't
> like to advise it to my users and then to some other apps stop working
> (Outlook...)? What is in this folder? Only (encrypted?) default keys. No
> certificate (from Personal cert. store) keys?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Removing "BagsMRU" from registry
    ... Type regedit in Start Run and delete all these keys. ... By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. ... The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder. ... Group Policy adds this entry to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Removing "BagsMRU" from registry
    ... Type regedit in Start Run and delete all these keys. ... By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. ... The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder. ... Group Policy adds this entry to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Recovering encrypted files and folders
    ... You need to have a copy of at least part of the user profile e.g. ... > to extract the keys to decrypt your files. ... The profiles are under the ... > documents and settings folder and listed by user name. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: "Invalid Connection Data" Message XBOX 360 acting as an MCE
    ... and it had keys in it. ... I moved the MachineKeys folder to another location and retried the Media ... Center Connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Cannot access files using backed-up EFS key...
    ... Wow 531 keys. ... I don't believe that the numbers you see in the folder are the ... using it you could also try using Recovery Console to try and repair the ... the problem operating system and find system and then hit open. ...