Authenticating a user on Windows Server 2003

From: Matthias Moetje (moetje_at_terasens_nospam_.de)
Date: 09/07/03

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 00:56:44 +0200

Hi,

I have previously been using code derived from KB article
Q180548 HOWTO: Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems.

This code always worked well on W2k and WinXP but on Windows Server 2003 the
code fails at function AcceptSecurityContext with error SEC_E_LOGON_DENIED
although the specified credentials are valid.

The same problem occurs with the VB version from article
Q279815 HOWTO: Validate User Credentials from Visual Basic by Using SSPI,
so there must have been some kind of change in Windows 2003.

How can I get this to work? I know, that for security reasons normally this
type
of authentication should not be used, but we need this function for a setup
program
that needs to check that the credentials provided ar logon information for a
service
are valid. (Otherwise the Windows Installer based setup will fail...)

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,

Matthias Moetje
TERASENS GmbH

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Authenticating a user on Windows Server 2003
    ... This will cause WinNT and Win9x clients to fail in their ... Validate User Credentials from Visual Basic by Using SSPI, ... > so there must have been some kind of change in Windows 2003. ... (Otherwise the Windows Installer based setup will fail...) ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Authenticate User in Windows 2000 machine
    ... I tried many times to convert the ff code to .NET but I fail to have ... How To Validate User Credentials from Visual Basic by Using SSPI ... I have a code that works with Windows XP using the Login API, ... Newsgroup said that giving the current user's rights set to SE_TCB_NAME ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)