Re: Authentication prompts with wrong domain

On Dec 24, 3:40 pm, David H. <dav...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have a Web site for staff use, which we maintain on a Windows 2003 Server
(SE, SP2).  The Default Web Site properties have Authentication set as
follows:  "Enable anonymous access" is unchecked; "Integrated Windows" and
"Basic" authentication are checked, and our AD Windows domain (call it
ourdomain.org) is entered as the Default Domain and Realm.  Seems all OK to
me.
Because this Web site is for staff use only, we do not use our primary
organization's domain name as the URL; instead we have set upwww.specialdomain.orgto point to this server.
When our users browse to our Web site from the Internet (i.e. not within our
LAN) they are invited to log on, and they can log on with their full email
address ("u...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" and their regular Windows logon password.  BUT
if they don't get it right the first time, they are "prompted" with the
username "u...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", which is dead wrong.  Of course, staff are
inclined to accept whatever is filled in for them, so they try repeatedly to
log on with this impossible username.
Is there any way within IIS to control what appears as the prompt to folks
attempting to log on?
Failing that, can anybody suggest any way to help my users avoid this trap?
Thanks, and happy holidays!

Odd behaviors such as this are usually what cause people to implement
forms-based authentication for outward-facing sites.

Dave

  • RE: SBS 2003 Activesync Problem-getting 0x85010004 error on the PD
    ... Please open IIS manager console, navigate to Web Sites->Default Web Site ... Click Directory Security tap, Under Authentication and access control, ... When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SBS 2003 Activesync Problem-getting 0x85010004 error on the PDA
    ... when access Activesync on PDA. ... Please open IIS manager console, navigate to Web Sites->Default Web Site ... Click Directory Security tap, Under Authentication and access control, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: CEICW-OMA errors
    ... Please double confirm the settings of the default Web Site settings as ... Open IIS Manager, navigate Web site -> Default Web Site, right click it ... Authentication Methods: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: OWA and RWW not accessible.
    ... In Authentication and Access Control... ... Is all of this correct on your SBS server? ... Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IIS 6 Integrated Authentication and IE 6 - security credential
    ... My server is in a domain. ... :> NTLM authentication by setting the NTAuthenticationProviders metabase ... :>>> If I reconfigure the web site so that it runns in an application ... :>>> associated with the default Network Service identity then the request ...