Re: Problems with writing to a file on IIS 6.0

If you are using an ASP.NET application without impersonation, then your ASP.NET code runs as Network Service (not the anonymous user account in IIS). There should be no need to make the Network Service account the anonymous user account.

Cheers
Ken

<sarika.koganti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:243cf163-87fc-4c67-8a2e-51389f904b61@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have an ASP.Net application which accesses a web server hosted on
IIS. The web server creates a file in the application directory and
writes to it. My application needs to run on 2K, 2K3 and XP, i.e. IIS
5.0, 5.1 and 6.0.
I cannot use 'Inegrated Windows Authentication' (on my client's
request) so i have enabled the anonymous access. In 2K and XP systems,
I gave the ASPNET user full control on the physical directory and made
it the id for 'Anonymous Access' for that virtual directory. The
application runs fine.

But on a machine with IIS 6.0, I am facing problems. The user NETWORK
SERVICE has full control on the physical directory, but what should be
the anonymous access user? The NETWORK SERVICE is not available for
anonymous access. Using the IUSR_ id for anonymous access did not help
since it does not have the required permissions. How can I write to
file on IIS 6.0?

Please let me know if there is any way of solving this preferably
without creating a new user account.

  • Re: Problems with writing to a file on IIS 6.0
    ... the configured IIS anonymous user is used. ... Then IUSR_is not used - instead Network Service is used. ... And i also need to use the anonymous access to provide access without ... > I gave the ASPNET user full control on the physical directory and made ...
  • Re: Problems with writing to a file on IIS 6.0
    ... Is there any disadvantage of using the windows authentication over ... will use Network Service ... And i also need to use the anonymous access to provide access without ... IIS). ...
  • Re: Problems with writing to a file on IIS 6.0
    ... I am saying disable Impersonation in your web.config, and then ASP.NET pages will use Network Service ... >> IIS). ... >>> request) so i have enabled the anonymous access. ...
  • Re: IIS suddenly wants login?
    ... When you allow anonymous access, IIS still needs to use a user account get ... sites under the Default web site using Asp.Net 1.1 and 2.0. ...
  • Problems with writing to a file on IIS 6.0
    ... I have an ASP.Net application which accesses a web server hosted on ... My application needs to run on 2K, 2K3 and XP, i.e. IIS ... it the id for 'Anonymous Access' for that virtual directory. ... The NETWORK SERVICE is not available for ...