RE: IIS6 Application Pool - Unspecified Error / Service Unavailable

Listen Everyone, I was facing the same problem and what I found on this discussion were only workarounds but there was no one to answer the real cause of this problem.

The real cause of the application pool not starting is that you Application pool account's password has either changed or the password has expired.

First Step findout your application pool UserID
Go to IIS:
Check the Identity Tab for your application pool account(leave those application pools where the app. pool identity is predefined ). In my case my configurable UserID was MOSS and the password of this UserID had expired. In your case the UserID can be different.

Second Step reset the Application pool Userid's password
Goto Active Directory:
Its possible that someone else might have changed the password for MOSS ID, or based on policy password might have expired.
So now change the password for MOSS UserID as it is your application pool ID.

Third Step
Goto IIS Again:
For ALL application pools go to the identity tab and next to your Application Pool UserID (ie MOSS in my case) write the new password.

Due to some problem the password changed and it is not updated in IIS automatically so IIS is unable to start application pools, start throwing Unspecified Error / Service Unavailable.

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/91_2004_12_0_0_366640/IIS6-Application-Pool--Unspecified-Error-Service-Unavailable.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com

  • Re: unable to run asp.net on 2000 server
    ... use this version of the .NET Framework. ... Viewing the Script Map for an ASP.NET Application ... Open the IIS management console, expand the local computer by clicking ... as long as they share the same pool designation. ...
  • Re: Unable to create ASP.NET Project... VS Cant communicate with FrontPage
    ... use this version of the .NET Framework. ... Viewing the Script Map for an ASP.NET Application ... Open the IIS management console, expand the local computer by clicking ... as long as they share the same pool designation. ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: Unable to create ASP.NET Project... VS Cant communicate with FrontPage
    ... > use this version of the .NET Framework. ... it is often useful to view the script map for an ASP.NET ... Open the IIS management console, ... as long as they share the same pool designation. ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • RE: IIS/Mail crashes
    ... This issue can be caused by incorrect application pool settings. ... Start IIS manager, expand Application Pools -> ExchangeApplicationPool, ... Please help me gather IIS log and Metabase to me for further analysis, ... Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: IIS 6 features
    ... based config and the "change it on the fly" features ... ... Subject: IIS 6 features ... So, if I understand correctly, the misbehaving application pool is placed ... >> using the Microsoft Passport service. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)