Re: IIS 6.0 - no host header value - Are host header requests processe

"asmizer" <asmizer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8D0A3C8F-472A-4382-AE0D-A0CAAB1088F9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IIS 6.0, the site does not have a "host header value" it is the
"Default:None".

What happens when an initial get request does not contain the site header?
E.g The Get comes to my IP address but instead of askign for "mysite.com" it
contains "yoursite.com"? Given that mysite.com resolves to the requested IP
address and Yoursite.com does not resolve to the requested IP address.

If yoursite.com does not resolve to the IP address, why is the browser even making the request to your webserver (except possibly to log spam in your logfiles)

IIS will match incoming requests to sites from the most specific to the least specific bindings.

If you have a site that listens on "all unassigned" and has no host header, it will get all requests that can not be routed to a more specific site.

Cheers
Ken

  • Re: DNS Across subnets
    ... Squid is looking at the header of the http request and instead of saying ... The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL. ... VLAN1 gives out ips of 10.0.x.x ... VLAN3 gives out ips of 10.2.x.x ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Update
    ... fulfilling the request by the client (e.g. your Web browser or our ... | Due to some network issues experienced on the Microsoft Update ... | Windows Update v4 or Office Update. ... We have resolve the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Difference in authentication between using IP address and DNS name
    ... The host name may resolve to a different address. ... The other thing that could be happening is if the web server uses HTTP ... The web server at the time of the request examines the requested ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Relativity passes latest test in extremely difficult measurement of Lense-Thirring effect
    ... KK&Z does not resolve the issue. ... Observing time is EXCEEDINGLY competitive on the Keck scopes. ... > Khaliullin emailed to me earlier this year that his request for an ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: SD442&Earthworkstc30K
    ... > I just talked to our tech support guys and they just received your ... > request a day and a half ago. ... The folks ... I hope they can help to resolve this matter. ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)