Re: security between serving files from a fileshare

Hi Ian,

What are you serving? It this application running on your server or static
pages?

In which case you get error 500? If you use Integrated or Basic?

Can you make sure that you have disabled Friendly Errors in IE -- it might
give you more specific (helpful) error message.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

"Ian Jagger" <IanJagger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

thanks for the advice, but I tried it and am getting a 500 error -
internal
server error.

Any other ideas, as I can browse to the file in iis manager, yet I get a
500
error if I request it in a browser.

Thanks,

Ian

"Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:

Hi Ian,

On virtual directory on server two (P2) you can specify which username
and
password to use by clicking on "Connect As". When entering username you
can
manually put in computer name (e.g. P1\username) and password for
username
created on P1. Instead of P1 you could also use "string"
localhost\username
where username is again account created on P1.

I hope this helps,

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

"Ian Jagger" <IanJagger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

I have two machines that are on the internet that can share files
between
them. They are otherwise firewalled.They are not on the same domain,
but
they
can see each other and share files in windows.

They are p1 and p2. p1 shares the directory pics with p2. p2 logs in as
p1\pics to see the pics. This works fine for windows, but is having
problems
with iis.

I have set up the directory as a virtual directory in iis, and have set
look at the fileshare and entered the username and password, but am
getting a
500 error - invalid username / password. When I browse for the
password,
it
only allows me accounts on p2.

Without creating a domain, how can I get iis on p2 to serve pics from
p1.

ie http://p2.mysite.com/pics/aa1.jpg which will serve the file
\\p1\pics\aa1.jpg

Thanks,

Ian

  • Re: security between serving files from a fileshare
    ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Security ... Any other ideas, as I can browse to the file in iis manager, yet I ... When entering username ...
  • Re: [PHP] Authentication
    ... If memory doesn't fail me, if you work with IIS and protect the source pages of the application so that IUSR_xxxxx doesn't have access to those files and instead grant access to the NT users or groups which you want, the IIS when working with IE clients will take care of that as long as they are all in the same domain. ... I did it with IIS 3 and IE4 and it worked, I am not completely sure about the details, but it is something you do in the server administration and you don't need to do any programming at all, if the person reaches the page it is because it is who he says it is. ... Otherwise, no browser will give you access to any sensitive information on the client machine, nothing that someone, anyone, might pick on the server side just by receiving a page request. ... If you can find a JavaScript function to snoop the username, ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: security between serving files from a fileshare
    ... I am serving images from the share. ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Security ... On virtual directory on server two you can specify which username ... with iis. ...
  • Re: UNC path authentication problem
    ... I know that the username I specified in IIS Manager must exist on the remote ... server, ... "Accessing the Remote File Server" Section ...
  • Re: UNC path authentication problem
    ... I know that the username I specified in IIS Manager must exist on the remote ... server, ... "Accessing the Remote File Server" Section ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)