Re: IIS_WPG and NETWORK SERVICE

Hi,

Network Service should be available from the drop-down list of preconfigured
identities (along with Local System and Local Service). I just checked on my
SBS2003 box.

What are the exact preconfigured identities that you are seeing?

Cheers
Ken

"Larry" <Larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
:I have an ASP.NET site hosted on an SBS 2003 server. The server is a day
old
: and no changes have been made to IIS with respect to user rights, etc.
: I have configured IIS_WPG to have the rights necessary to access what
needs
: to be accessed on my site folder. I have set this up many times before
via
: the same script on non-SBS servers. However, the web app cannot
manipulate
: the folder as it should be able to based on these rights. I have verified
: this by temporarily giving "everyone" full rights to the folder and the
web
: app runs fine.
: I know that ASP.NET application is running in a pool where NETWORK SERVICE
: is the runtime context:
: System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name = NT
: AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
:
: I have read a couple articles that explain that on a fresh install of IIS
6,
: "NETWORK SERVICE" should be a member of IIS_WPG. Well, on my new install,
it
: is not.
: So, I opened up the DefaultAppPools node of IIS Mgr and opened the IIS_WPG
: Properties and at the "Members" tab, no "NETWORK SERVICE" in the list.
There
: is IWAM_machinename, and "SharePoint...bla.bla.". I attempt to add
"NETWORK
: SERVICE", but it does not appear to be a user that can be selected from
: Active Directory.
: I am stuck at this point because either the OS has a bug, SBS 2003 is
: "different again" from vanilla servers, the MSDN article is wrong, or I'm
: seeing things.
: I will be greatly appreciative if someone can tell me which is the case
and
: set me straight.
: Regards,
: Larry