Re: Integrated Windows Authentication - 401: Access Denied

try using iis authdiag, make sure all your permissions are squared away.
usually that is a kerberos issue, check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;215383

"Garth" <Garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Thank you for the response.
>
> IIS is ver 5.
>
> Machine is not in a Domain, did not customize the app. pool id. I did add
> the user account to the Debugger Users group. If I turn Integrated
> Windows
> Authentication on and debug an ASP app from within VS.NET, I am
> automatically
> logged in and identified, no problem. If I irun the same ASP application
> from a browser (outside the IDE) the Integrated Windows Authentication
> fails.
>
> Very Strange.
>
> "David Wang [Msft]" wrote:
>
>> IIS version?
>>
>> If IIS6, if you use Integrated Authentication AND your machine is in a
>> domain AND you customized the Application Pool Identity AND you failed to
>> setspn the new identity as specified by documentation, then you can see
>> this
>> due to user misconfiguration.
>>
>> You may also look at any double-hop situation in your application because
>> that can also show up as a 401 using Integrated and succeed with basic --
>> because Basic is less secure.
>>
>> --
>> //David
>> IIS
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
>> rights.
>> //
>>
>> "Garth" <Garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Developing .NET application to acccess web services. In IIS, if
>> > Integrated
>> > Windows Authentication is turned on, I get a 401: Access Denied error.
>> > However, if I turn off Integrated Windows Authentication and turn on
>> > Basic
>> > Authentication I am able to authenticate the user with no problem.
>> >
>> > I am having the same problem with ASP.NET applications, unable to
>> > authenticate the user through Windows prompt for Integrated Windows
>> > Authentication, but Basic Authentication works fine.
>> >
>> > This test is being run on the same machine (web server is the same
>> > machine
>> > as the development machine).
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas?

  • Re: Windows Authentication problem with IIS6 (Win2k3)
    ... Authentication Protocol is Integrated ... Jeff - Thank you SOOOOO much - your suggestion to check out the IIS ... regardless of the IE setting regarding Enabling Integrated Windows ... >>I believe the problem to be something related to the Kerberos technology, ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Windows Authentication problem with IIS6 (Win2k3)
    ... Authentication Protocol is Integrated ... Jeff - Thank you SOOOOO much - your suggestion to check out the IIS ... regardless of the IE setting regarding Enabling Integrated Windows ... >>I believe the problem to be something related to the Kerberos technology, ...
  • Re: HELP PLEASE The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied.
    ... Web Security: Part 2: Introducing the Web Application Manager, Client ... Authentication Options, and Process Isolation ... It introduces the Web Application Manager in IIS that ... logon session, which is dangerous. ...
  • RE: Can no longer access ActiveSync
    ... OMA and Exchange/Exchange-OMA virtual directory. ... Please verify Authentication settings by the following steps. ... Open IIS Manager ... issue may be caused by the Exchange attribute of original user account. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • RE: HttpContext Problem
    ... When user access UploadFileApps, it will check whether the user's email ... Negotiate" header is used for Kerberos authentication ... in IE and IIS, this normally means you've checked "Integrated Windows ...