Re: Public IP as Relay?

From: Miha Pihler [MVP] (mihap-news_at_atlantis.si)
Date: 11/21/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:43:50 +0100

    Hi,

    Since SMTP is running on same server as your application you could also
    enter 127.0.0.1 as an IP address. This would only allow relaying from this
    local computer.

    If such configuration is dangerous depends on other configuration factors.
    E.g. are there any firewalls between unsafe networks (e.g. internet) and you
    server? If there are and if they block access to services on your server
    that should not be accessible to everyone on the internet, than that can add
    a lot to security of your server.

    Note: Windows 2003 server has built in Firewall. You can use this firewall
    if you don't have any other.

    --
    Mike
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Security