Public IP as Relay?

From: Eduardo T (edemail_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/21/05

Date: 21 Nov 2005 11:26:58 -0800

Is it safe to use the public IP of a server as a relay in IIS? I'm
testing the SMTP server in IIS. A web app on this server needs to be
able to send email. The only way I've got it to work so far is by
going into Default SMTP Virtual Server Properties > Relay Restrictions
> selecting "Only the list below" and adding the public IP with access of "Granted."

Is this safe? Or is this something that can easily be exploited? I
would think if it's only accepting relays that come from it's own IP,
this would work out, but I'm not sure.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IIS and default SMTP Virtual Server
    ... Is this IIS machine the same server you are running Exchange on? ... you need to RTFM. Exchange takes over management of the SMTP servers. ... You *do not* manage these through the IIS Manager, and the SMTP server will ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Relay Question
    ... An open relay ... is an SMTP e-mail server that allows third-party relay of e-mail messages. ... Exchange 2003 is by default configured to prevent open relay. ... Microsoft does not control these sites ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Query on IIS and NDR generation
    ... We use IIS SMTP as a relay server for application servers to send ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp)
  • Re: Relay issue with our Domain
    ... If you connect toi your SMTP server and tell the SMTP server that your ... from a valid accountb in your domain and then you try to send externally, ... servers allowed to relay. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)