Re: HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied - when trying to access a .jsp page

From: Gery D. Dorazio (gdorazio_at_enque.net)
Date: 10/11/05

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:02:46 -0400

Jared,

There are several possibilities that may cause this problem.

1) If you were running IIS 5 before the update then it was running as a
local system account which has full priviledges. If your upgrade was to IIS
6 then it now runs under NETWORK SERVICE account which has more restrictive
access. To change this back, open IIS Manager select Application Pools then
right click the one that is used for the web site you are running and select
properties. Then select the Identity tab and change the predefined security
account back to Local System....but note this was changed for security
reasons so you may want to review what the differences are between the two
accounts before making that change. (But I think #2 will be more your case.)

2) The jsp page fails now because of some tightened security that happened
because of the update. Even though it is 'configured for anonymous access'
doesn't mean it will or should run. It only means the anonymous account can
get to it. What the jsp page actually does is what causes the 401
unauthorized security problem. I don't work with jsp pages but I will assume
for the moment that it has the same capabilities that ASP or ASP.NET
programmable pages have. So the suggestion is this: make a copy of the page
and give the copy anonymous access. Then start commenting out code until it
passes to identify the code that causes the problem. That should lead you to
the particular object instantiation or call that is causing the problem. If
you can identify that then at least you have something else to do research
on in order to configure it or program around the problem...for instance,
you may have to unimpersonate the anonymous account, logon as a user account
with elevated privliges for that operation, do that operation, and then
reimpersonate the anonymous account. This is the tack MS give for this kind
of problem.

Good luck,
Gery

--
Gery D. Dorazio
Development Engineer
<hawkins.jared@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am getting the following error when I try to access a certain .jsp
> page:
>

> HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied
>  Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
>  Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:26:39 GMT
>  WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
>  Connection: close
>
> The page is set up for anonymous access and no authentication in IIS.
> Please help!  This used to work and the only thing that has changed are
> updating patches.
>
> Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: iis 6.0
    ... How IIS Authenticates Browser Clients ... >>An IIS account for anonymous access to IIS. ... >>will be the process identity, ...
  • Re: 401.1 Error w/ Anonymous Access
    ... > - I've set up a local account on the machine (Win2000 Professional, ... > - In the local machine's Local Security Policy I've allowed SiteUser to ... I am under the impression that if Anonymous Access is ... IIS will treat the request as if it is coming from the user ...
  • Re: Cant make a domain user the "anonymous access" user
    ... I do not think this is an IIS issue. ... IIS just uses the username/password you set and call LogonUser with it -- ... domain user account is used for anonymous access, ...
  • Re: IIS on 2003 Domain Controller
    ... >anonymous access to a 2003 server configured as a Domain Controller. ... Have you set IIS for anonymous access and not Windows Authenticated? ... >understand the account used for anonymous access cannot be on a remote ...
  • RE: SOME Users cannot access OWA others do, error HTTP 500
    ... I understand that some account access OWA ... IIS 6.0 compression corruption causes access violations ... compressed copy of the affected files on the SBS server: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)