Re: How to automate this ... ?

From: David Wang [Msft] (someone_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/05/05

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 02:20:47 -0700

Correct. It must be manual, or else it is a security vulnerability in the
browser. Servers cannot automatically change a trusted resource of the
client unless you established trust to that server (that's basically what
Domain membership and Group Policy is -- the server trusts the external
Domain Controller).

If the users are not controlled, your only options are to:
1. Make the users install your random certificate into their trusted root
(BIG RED FLAG -- no one should do this, but dumb users probably will)
2. Purchase a certificate from an established Certificate Registrar. They
already got their Root CA Certificate into the user's trusted root store.

Read the following blog entry for details as to why things are the way they
are:
http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/08/02/Free_SSL_on_IIS.aspx

--
//David
IIS
"Steven Wong" <sazabi75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,
Thanks for your reply..
No, there will be internet users connecting to this secure web site.
So, that means there must be some kind of user intervention to manually
make the IE to trust my own Microsoft CA ?
TIA
Steven