Re: IIS 5 - Integrated Windows Authentication Issues

From: Kirk Potter (potter_kirk_at_hot|\|OSPAMmail.com)
Date: 07/14/05

    Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:01:16 GMT

    Hi Tom.

    The username and password are definately correct. I am using domain
    accounts. We have tried this on numerous machines with numerous accounts.

    Any ideas?

    Kirk

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "Kirk Potter" <potter_kirk@hot|\|OSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have a Windows 2000 Server running IIS 5 and we are having problems
    >> with integrated windows authentication but only with some clients.
    >>
    >> For testing purposes I have been using WFetch on the server itself and we
    >> are getting HTTP 401.1: Unauthorized Login Failed.
    >>
    >> The application we are accessing is running under the default web site
    >> which has anonymous authentication enabled. The application itself has
    >> anonymous access disabled.
    >>
    >> The WFetch request is being run using a domain account, I have checked
    >> the ACLs for the physical folder and the Domain Users group has Read
    >> access. I've also added the specific account I am using via WFetch and
    >> even given this Full Control but I still get the same issue.
    >>
    >> It works fine from XP clients and some Windows 2000 clients (excluding
    >> the server itself), NT 4 clients do not work - in each case the latest
    >> version of IE is being used.
    >
    > 401.1 indicates that either the username or password provided is bad - in
    > other words the server could not authenticate the client based on those
    > credentials. Are you using domain or local accounts?
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running
    > IIS

    • Re: Win2K3 domain account connecting to Win2K VPN server in an NT4
      ... - since the server is not in the AD domain, you can't add it to the AD ... NT4 accounts can still authenticate, ... I verified that my test accounts could connect to the VPN before migrating ... > The authentication server did not respond to authentication requests in a ... ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
    • Re: Removing SPA from POP3 service of Windows 2003 Server
      ... If you wish to change the authentication type from "Local Accounts" to ... right-click on the server and bring up the properties. ... I think what you need to do is configure your Outlook accounts, ...
    • RE: Separating authentication and authorization for admins was: RE: AD across both DMZ & LAN
      ... Subject: Separating authentication and authorization for admins was: RE: ... administrators and/or admin actions on the ... > internet from their PC's. ... so that we only have one set of user accounts to ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Strange auth denial with IE Integrated Security and IIS; but not Firefox, Netscape
      ... You can't configure this in IIS MMC, ... > Can someone explain why "NTAuthenticationProviders" would be missing> from the Metabase? ... > I had a problem where users would not be able to authenticate even> though I turned on Windows Authentication and configured my ASP.Net> app to use impersonation. ... By default when a machine is added to the AD the machine's>>> LOCAL and NETWORK service accounts are registered with AD. ...
    • Re: IIS6, SQL authentication and logging, can it be done?
      ... It is easier in Apache due to the weaker model for user accounts ... authentication, and authorization (IOW you do not want to use Windows ...