Re: IIS 5 - Integrated Windows Authentication Issues

From: Tom Kaminski [MVP] ((A_at_T))
Date: 07/13/05

    Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:06:53 -0400

    "Kirk Potter" <potter_kirk@hot|\|OSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    news:wNaBe.150461$Vj3.58671@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a Windows 2000 Server running IIS 5 and we are having problems
    > with integrated windows authentication but only with some clients.
    >
    > For testing purposes I have been using WFetch on the server itself and we
    > are getting HTTP 401.1: Unauthorized Login Failed.
    >
    > The application we are accessing is running under the default web site
    > which has anonymous authentication enabled. The application itself has
    > anonymous access disabled.
    >
    > The WFetch request is being run using a domain account, I have checked the
    > ACLs for the physical folder and the Domain Users group has Read access.
    > I've also added the specific account I am using via WFetch and even given
    > this Full Control but I still get the same issue.
    >
    > It works fine from XP clients and some Windows 2000 clients (excluding the
    > server itself), NT 4 clients do not work - in each case the latest version
    > of IE is being used.

    401.1 indicates that either the username or password provided is bad - in
    other words the server could not authenticate the client based on those
    credentials. Are you using domain or local accounts?

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    • Re: pine program and mail services with FC6 System
      ... protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s ... # Directory where authentication process places authentication UNIX sockets ... # chroot login process to the login_dir. ... # what most of your IMAP clients are. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Remote site BDCs wont auth clients when T1 to AD 2003 is down LTLM?
      ... Depending on what clients you have if you do not have additional W2K DCs ... Put a W2K DC at every site the you want authentication to continue if the ... 298713 How to Prevent Overloading on the First Domain Controller During ... I have tried forcing the AD controller to do NTLM only- but that ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Remote site BDCs wont auth clients when T1 to AD 2003 is down LTLM?
      ... Depending on what clients you have if you do not have additional W2K DCs ... Put a W2K DC at every site the you want authentication to continue if the ... 298713 How to Prevent Overloading on the First Domain Controller During ... I have tried forcing the AD controller to do NTLM only- but that ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Netlogon 5783
      ... For about there mounts I<m having small network problem, with clients, that ... The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller ... On DC1r there is Exchange 2000 server, witch is Exchange system manager is ... The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 With NIS+ Password Authentication Problem
      ... > only windows SSH clients (I've tried SecureCRT and SSH.com's SSH ... > authentication, it works, but it asks me TWICE ... Your Windows clients are using password authentication. ... But if you run NIS+ at security level 2 the user ...
      (SunManagers)