Re: IIS Lockdown Tool

From: Leon Mayne [MVP] (l.rmv.mayne_at_uea.ac.uk)
Date: 07/08/05

Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:30:10 +0100

redrobit wrote:
> I recently upgraded a 200 server to 2003, thus upgrading IIS to
> version 6. I am running OWA using a re-direct to HTTPS, and want to
> know if I should be using the IIS Lockdown tool. I think I read an
> article that it should be used in IIS is an upgrade, and not a clean
> install of server 2003. Any advice?

You shouldn't need IIS Lockdown in IIS6 at all, as it has all of the
security features built in.

You need to install it BEFORE you upgrade to iis6. From the IIS Lockdown
download page:

"All of the default security-related configuration settings in IIS 6.0 meet
or exceed the security configuration settings made by the IIS Lockdown tool.
Therefore, you do not need to run this tool on Web servers running IIS 6.0.
However, if you are upgrading from a previous version of IIS, you should run
the IIS Lockdown Tool before the upgrade to enhance the security of your Web
server."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/locktool.mspx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IIS Lockdown Tool
    ... >> know if I should be using the IIS Lockdown tool. ... > You need to install it BEFORE you upgrade to iis6. ... > or exceed the security configuration settings made by the IIS Lockdown tool. ...
  • WebDAV
    ... I'm trying to get WebDav working on a 2003 server. ... upgraded from 2000 and had the IIS Lockdown to include the URL Scan ... option applied prior to the upgrade. ...
  • Re: VS.NET - IIS Lockdown
    ... I feel the main concern here is what whether IIS Lockdown tool can bring ... setup wrongly in IIS server. ... So I feel you can install IIS Lockdown tool and test it. ... Microsoft Mobile Information Server: ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • RE: MS IIS Lockdown tool
    ... Well I used it and it broke OWA:) So now I have to figure out what OWA ... > Subject: MS IIS Lockdown tool ... that email messages will be free of errors or viruses. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: IIS Lockdown
    ... IIS Lockdown Tool. ... in the IIS Lockdown Tool, which might help you determine which options you ... Install and Use the IIS Lockdown Wizard ... Is there a particular reason why you want the functionality of the Lockdown ...