Please Help! - Advanced Digest With IIS6 - 401.1

From: Jan Bühler (jan_at_rufanundspar.com)
Date: 07/06/05

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:49:24 +0200

Hi, I recently set up an IIS6 box on a Windows Server 2003 domain controller
to take advantage of the new advanced digest that doesn't need reversible
encryption enabled passwords. I enabled UseDIGESTSSP in the Metabase, and
Digest works... Almost!

You see, say I apply Digest authentication thru the IIS manager MMC snap in
to a whole website which is say, www.test.com. Thing is, when i log onto
www.test.com with IE6 it keeps prompting for the password and ends up with a
"401.1 invalid server credentials". Thing is, if i go to www.test.com/test
the DIGEST authentication works fine. I've tried creating other websites but
the root directory never seems to authenticate. I've never had this on my
old web server running on IIS6 + Windows Server 2003 SP1.

When I swtich to the insecure basic authentication it works just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to troubleshoot 401 error when connecting using NetworkCredent
    ... digest auth only works against domain accounts by default - ... the same result when connecting to a WebService hosted in IIS. ... If I configure my client to use explicit credentials as follows: ... digest authentication, then everything works. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • HttpListerner in Console App and Web Config
    ... I have a small Console based Application which acts like Http server. ... HttpListener is used for Http requests and responses. ... Now I would like to use Digest Authentication and I made a IHttpModule based ...
  • Unable to authenticate with digest authentication...
    ... however I still cannot perform digest authentication. ... I have verified through network traces that it is using Digest ... And it's going over http, ... CredentialCache objCredentialCache = new CredentialCache; ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: [9fans] Pegasus 2.2 is released
    ... However, if we want to change owner of running httpd by digest authentication, ... Digest is a bit of a hybrid in that it does authentication, and also provides data integrity and protection. ... I'm currently hacking on Plan 9's IMAP support, and SASL DIGEST with encryption is high on the TODO list. ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: A Couple Of Good Papers
    ... This is pretty much a digest of everything I've been learning here ... For some reason I found the website too slow opening. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)